𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 | Learning the Right Cards to Play

"Today," Gojo's voice boomed across the field, "we'll be training. This will mainly benefit our two jujutsu newbies, but practice is always good for you other two."

Gojo split the squad into pairs, putting Y/N with Kugisaki who would be able to mentor her in ranged projectiles. The four first years worked hard. Constant grunts and yells could be heard from the boys sparring on the other side of the field.

"Okay, see that tree?" Kugisaki had set up targets for Y/N on trees around the field.

"The closer one?"

"Yeah. Throw until you get a bullseye."

"WHAT?" Y/N stared at her classmate.

"You heard me."

Annoyed, Y/N decided to trust her methods and began.

It was a tragic showing, with half the deck barely making it to the third ring. Y/N was beyond frustrated and it was starting to show. Nobara watched, gaging how Y/N's cursed energy flowed.

"Now this is just sad."

"Shut up!" Y/N snapped at her. "You are no help."

"That's it! See how you just snapped? That's what you need to do with your cursed energy. Feel it flow through your hands and the card, and force it out in a quick burst."

With a grumpy look, Y/N took her advice.

The first few times were no different, but then it happened. A flash of blue energy enveloped the card, sending it flying faster and more accurately than any of her others.

"BULLSEYE!"

"That's how you do it! Yes!"

Y/N hugged Kugisaki without warning, thanking her.

"Now," Nobara pushed her back, "Do it on the farther target."

She laughed out loud at the look of disappointment on Y/N's face.

After many more successes, the skill became somewhat natural to Y/N. She didn't have to focus as much to hit her targets and the flow of her cursed energy was becoming stronger with her control.

As the sun began to set, Gojo called them all in for a special treat.

"I brought you guys takeout! Dinner is on me!"

They all cheered and thanked him.

"Don't thank me yet..."

The kids all gave him quizzical expressions.

"You've got a serious mission tomorrow, which is sooner than I wanted to send you out alone. I thought we would have more time to train, but I'm not in control of this assignment."

"More action? No need to be sorry, Gojo!" Itadori spoke through a mouthful of Thai food.

For the first time, Y/N saw Gojo without his typical happy personality. Something about this mission was clearly bothering him.

Maybe it's just because he can't be there with us.

Dismissing the bad vibes, Y/N enjoyed her meal and left with the rest of the first years to get ready for bed.

--------------------🎕--------------------

Her heart was pounding.

That cruel voice echoed in the back of her head.

"Ungrateful"

"Monster"

"You lying little bitch"