Chapter Seven

Avneet slowly opened her eyes to the soft morning light filtering through the curtains, only to find Siddharth on the floor beside her, tightly holding her hand.

A flood of memories rushed back the nightmares that had haunted her, and how Siddharth was comforting her.

"Siddharth, wake up," she gently shook him.

With concern, he looked up at her with sleepy eyes "Avi, are you okay?"

The nickname, felt strange on her ears. As she had built walls around herself, never allowing anyone to call her by that name after he left. Yet, hearing it from Siddharth brought a mix of nostalgia and discomfort.

"Siddharth, stand up. The floor must be cold," she said, helping him onto his feet. As he rose, their hands reluctantly parted, leaving a lingering warmth in Avneet's heart.

She suggested him to freshen up while she prepared breakfast.

After breakfast, Siddharth proposed "Avi, let's go to college together."

Avneet hesitated, a flicker of discomfort evident on her face.

"Siddharth, can you please not call me Avi?" she requested, with pleading eyes.

Siddharth, though confused, nodded in agreement, sensing the complexity of emotions.

As they made their way to college, the atmosphere inside the car was filled with unspoken tension.

Avneet glances at Siddharth and couldn't help but notice the uncanny resemblance between Siddharth and the little boy that lingered in her memories.

"Avneet, we have arrived" she snapped out of her thoughts, and together, they made their way to attend class with their friends.

Anushka was fixing her makeup, while Jannat casually scrolled through her phone. Vaishnavi trying to find confirmation asked, "You came to college with Siddharth?"

A curious glance passed between the other two, and Avneet replied, "Yeah."

The atmosphere sparked with interest as Vaishnavi asked again, "You come to college with him?"

"Are we missing out on something?" Jannat asked trying to process how it happened.

With a nonchalant nod, Avneet confirmed, " Yes, we did come together. Yesterday, we did our project and he slept over because of the rain, nothing more."

Anushka, pausing in her makeup routine, couldn't contain her surprise, "Holy shit, Avu, Siddharth Nigam slept at your place- like in the same bed?" The trio looked at her shocked.

"No, Anu."

The rumour quickly spread the college corridors, reaching even the ears of the boys.

"Sid, is it true that you slept with Avneet?" Riyaz and Faisu inquired with a mix of curiosity and amusement.

Amidst the questioning, Abhishek interrupted, "My dear brother, what were you doing when Mom and I were away?"

Riyaz texted the girls, summoning them to the cafeteria. Soon, the girls arrived, unaware of all rumours.

Riyaz cut to the chase, "So, Avneet, is it true that you and Sid slept together?"

Avneet glanced towards Siddharth, who raised his hand defensively, asserting, "I haven't said anything."

Faisu clarified "The whole college is buzzing about this."

Jannat sighed, "Shit! It's all over the college page that 'the hottest guy slept with some new girl'."

Avneet turned towards Anushka, "It's all your fault, Anu. You were screaming this on top of your voice."

Anushka, defensively, retorted, "It's not my fault that this news was so shocking."

Faisu, overhearing their conversation, advised them not to think that much about the gossip, assuring them it would die down as people grew bored of the news.

Siddharth pulled Avneet's hand by surprise and leading her into an empty classroom.

"Siddharth?" she said, surprised by the unexpected move.

"Avneet, have you thought about my invitation?"

"About the coffee?" she asked, seeking clarification.

"No, about the date. Avneet, I was really serious when I suggested taking you on a date," Siddharth explained.

"Siddharth" Avneet hesitated.

"Avneet, just one date. I promise you won't regret going on a date with this handsome person" Siddharth teased with a playful smile, awaiting her response.

"Okay."

"I will pick you up at 7" Siddharth said, pulling Avneet into a warm hug.

______
Vote and Comment