The lost boy (BwM bonus chapter)

SCARLETT

The knots twisting in my stomach were not the familiar nervous flutters. No, this was different. A euphoric, thrilling feeling.

Today was the day.

After endless nights imagining this moment, it had finally arrived—the day my mate would meet the parents he thought abandoned him.

I rolled over, aching to see his sleepy face and that boyish innocence he emanated whenever he was dreaming. It was one of my favourite moments of the day to wake up next to him and watch him, taking in every line, every feature. Even after months, I couldn't tire of it because I wanted to treasure each moment we had together.

But the spot beside me was empty.

"Callum?"

No reply. He must've woken before me, anxious about today. Our bond hummed, pulling me to him like a magnet.

The crackling fire led me to the living room. And there he was, staring into the flames, their glow casting warmth on his handsome, contemplative face.

"You're up early," I said softly, not wanting to startle him.

Callum turned with a smile. "Morning, beautiful." His arm lifted in invitation, and I sat in his lap, my head finding its home against his shoulder.

The earthy scent filled my lungs, our closeness sparking that electric buzz in my flesh. This man lit my whole being ablaze just with his presence.

He kissed my forehead before combing through my tangled bedhead.

"Did you sleep okay?" I asked, but the tension in his body told me everything.

"Just..." He hesitated. "A lot on my mind."

My lips tingled from the touch when I cupped his face and kissed him, feeling him relax in my embrace.

"It's a big day. Anyone would feel overwhelmed facing it." I threaded my fingers between his, caressing his knuckles.

"Overwhelmed is putting it mildly. Thank the Goddess, you'll be beside me, or I'd likely lose my nerve altogether."

Of course he was anxious about today. I understood the enormity of it for him—the parents he believed rejected him were finally coming.

"There's nothing to fear, my love. No matter what happens, we'll get through it together."

The brilliance of his smile made my heart skip a beat. "I don't deserve you, Flame." He nuzzled my neck. "Having your support through all this... it's everything. I love you."

"I love you too." My words were a whisper against his lips before our mouths found each other. The mate bond roared to life, desperate for more contact.

As much as every fibre of my being burnt to get lost in my mate now and always, I broke our hungry kiss before it deepened further or wandering hands stirred passions. His family would arrive soon, and I didn't fancy greeting our guests flushed and dishevelled.

"We should start getting ready," I murmured, though neither of us tried to move.

Instead, his arms wrapped around me, holding me still while we sat in content silence, enjoying the fire and being together.

"What do you think they'll be like?" Callum asked. "My birth parents."

I stroked his stubbled cheek, treasuring the tender glimpse into his vulnerability. My powerful bear shifter, laying bare his soul, a side he rarely showed to others.

"They'd have to be pretty amazing to have such an incredible son."

His grin grew impossibly wide, my words resonating.