Chapter 3, Ailynn

I run to school.  It's a fifteen-minute run, 1.7ish miles. If I went faster, I might be able to do it in ten minutes, but I don't want to sweat too much. 

                  The thing about running is that it never distracts you, which is the only thing I didn't like about it. So, my undistracted mind went to thinking about her.

                I'm gonna break up with her. I don't have a problem with her, she's one of the best people I know. She made life feel like an Advent Calendar. Every day she gave me something- she came to all my races, she listened to me, she held me, it was no doubt she loved me. But advent calendars run out of days, and all you end up with is some decorated cardboard. So I'ma recycle her and maybe she turns up as a plastic water bottle for someone too broke to own a Stanely. 

             It's a beautiful so I wish I could pay attention to it. I love early October. Sometimes it's really hot, other times it's beautiful and cold.  The bottom leaves turn red but not the top. 

            I 'm panting now that I 'm at the school, but I catch my breath before I walk in.  I check my watch. 7:05.  School didn't start until 7:30. Most of the times if kids get here early they go emotionally eat the free pancakes they serve here before class starts. So that's where I go.

         The school gave a prison feel. It was grey, with a big Rockwall that had blood on it. But it wasn't just the color scheme, it was the atmosphere. Everybody was sitting in a group of two or three looking at their phones. Breathe in. Scroll. Breathe out. Take a bite of pancake. Swallow. Scroll. Breathe in. Repeat.

         I look for anyone I know.  Olive and Ralph were sitting together with the free pancakes. I walked over to them. 

       Ralph smiles. He's one of Carrie's senior friends from theater.  If a Karen saw him in the street, she would probably pull her child closer to her. He's tan-ish, his skin wasn't dark enough to look not-white but had a gold tint to it. He had pair of very short white jean shorts (but it's okay because he's trans. Cis boys should not show their legs. Ever), and an oversized sweater he bought from Barbie. He also pair of rhinestone-y black boots and a gold cross necklace he is fidgeting with. I think he tried to use hair gel but he failed pretty miserably so it looked like bog, purple clumps of hair. His makeup's pretty heavy to.  His lipstick's purple to go with his hair,  and his eyeliner's pure black, like Carrie's.  

      Some people say you can tell who someone is based off their clothes. All I can tell from him is he isn't on his period.

      I sat down, "You said your parents were strict,"

    "Parent," he corrected. 

   "Why'd they let dye your hair then," 

"My mom doesn't know yet," 

"She's sure gonna be happy when she finds out," 

Olive looks at me. Should I tell her?

I'm not ready for that yet.