Chapter 3: In Our Own Way

"Aren't they a little late?" Bob whispered to L'Orange as they waited in front of the Gyahpava City Hall for the tomato people and their representatives. L'Orange replied that no matter what happens, a tomato is never late and never early for its appointments. Bob said it's expected of those who consider themselves perfect. She looked at her wristwatch and realized there were still less than two hours until the scheduled arrival time.

Just then, she spotted a sweet cloud cart approaching, a type of candy that is quite common throughout Ekorella, where little clouds are covered in golden sugar. The taste is amazing. L'Orange then suggested to Bob that they go get a candy while they wait. Bob agreed, saying it's a good way to pass the time. They both sat on a bench near the entrance of the City Hall and started talking about work.

In the middle of their conversation, they noticed the mayor coming out of the City Hall and positioning himself to await the arrival of the tomatoes. When they realized that the mayor had noticed their presence, Bob commented to L'Orange, "He might as well want to come over here and try to have a chat with us." The mayor turned and started walking towards them, and Bob grumbled that he spoke too soon. L'Orange stifled her laughter by covering her mouth with her hands and stood up to greet the mayor.

The mayor greeted the two of them and asked how their visit to the city has been these past two days. L'Orange responded with many compliments and mentioned that she had finished an article for the travel column about Gyahpava, describing it as "a pleasant and culturally rich place to spend the holidays." The mayor laughed joyfully, saying that she is even better than the rumors and that he is happy to have her there to cover the historic event.

L'Orange expresses her gratitude and, looking at Bob, asks if he brought some of the photos they took for the newspaper during their tour of the city. Bob responds that he developed a few more photos last night and shows them to the mayor. The mayor laughs heartily, praising the images. Bob mentions that he heard about the eastern plot of land that belongs to the territory of Gyahpava, where today's event will take place. He was told that it had been closed for decades but will finally be put to positive use.

The mayor's expression turns indifferent. L'Orange starts thinking about how to change the subject, as the land mentioned by Bob is a sensitive topic for the people of Gyah. The last war between the Gyah territories took place there, resulting in many lives lost and no lessons learned. However, the mayor starts laughing loudly and says, "You're right, young man! We are not a shining example of history, but that land holds significance for our people." L'Orange feels relieved to see that the mayor didn't have a negative reaction. "However..." the mayor continues, and Bob and L'Orange freeze, "we cannot guarantee that the place won't become a scene of tragedy, as we are in the midst of a war."

L'Orange almost agrees with the mayor, but then it occurs to her that it is possible to prevent that, that it is something driven by greed and intolerant ideas of intolerant people. If she were to agree, it wouldn't be long before Larandella, her homeland, would be caught up in such absurdities. "How could I forgive myself for thinking that way? I need to protect Laranje, my people, and the people of this stoic mayor," L'Orange thinks.

The conversation cannot continue as the mayor's secretary interrupts them, calling him to take his place on the central podium of the City Hall. With that, Mayor Gyah excuses himself from the two journalists and leaves with his secretary.

L'Orange looks at Bob and asks what he meant by that awful place. Bob responds that the abandoned territory is the sore spot of that place, and he was just testing the extent of the mayor's hospitality. Before Bob can continue speaking, L'Orange slaps him on the back and asks him not to be so reckless with his words. She mentions that he got lucky because the mayor's mood is high today.

Bob turns towards the sweet cloud cart and says that he doesn't care about any of that as long as Larandella is kept out of all this circus, he doesn't mind.

L'Orange looks at him disappointedly but realizes she can't deny that he has a point. After all, she thinks the same way when it comes to protecting her home in her own way.