Chapter 2

⚠️TW: Internalized homophobia, cursing🔞⚠️

The day went by faster than I wanted to, and soon enough, the next day arrived. The only good part of the day was that it was bologna day at school. Sure, I got some glances from Sally Face and his homo friends for enjoying the sandwich so much, but I didn't care. Bologna sandwiches are one of the only things that don't make me wanna throw up immediately.

And before I knew it, I was sitting across from Sal at a picnic table. He was actually trying to help me, but I just zoned out and tuned out his agitating, grating voice. I didn't even bother trying to pay attention since I knew I still wouldn't understand at all. Algebra was one of the subjects I hated the most, and science, and I couldn't understand a single bit from both of those classes.

"Travis? Did you get everything?" Sal's soft voice quickly shook me from my thoughts and back to reality, and I realized that I've been staring at Sal's paper for so long that I didn't notice how much he had written down while I was zoned out.

"Duh. Of course I did, fuckwad." I scoffed, saying that as confidently as I could even though I was lying. I did, in fact, not get everything. I didn't even write down a single number in my notebook, opposite of Sal's notebook, which had equations I didn't know of and numbers all summed up into one problem.

Sal's handwriting was nice, it wasn't perfect, but it was nice. Unlike mine, which looked like scribbles, not that you could tell right now since I didn't write anything down except my name and date in the corner.

"Is the answer to that...69?" I asked, my head started to hurt with every equation I looked at, and my vision began to blur.

Sal sighed, shaking his head while his pigtails moved with his head's motion. "No, good try though. It was 54.67." He said, a hint of disappointment lingering in his tone. It was like he was annoyed, and I'd be too if some kid just made me write a whole bunch of math in his notebook, only for that kid to not listen to a word I said.

"Oh." I muttered quietly, picking at my hangnail, I didn't even notice when my finger started to bleed due to picking at it.

"Well, I think that's everything for today. You can take this paper and review it anytime." Sal said after a moment of silence, ripping the paper from his book and handing it to me. I nodded and folded it, putting it into my pocket. I would've said some snarky comment to him, but I just wanted to go home and go to bed.

Both me and Sal walked out of the school together, like we were actually- friends. We weren't, and we'd never be, he's a homo, he's a bad influence. But still, something about his smell was just...comforting, the smell of sandalwood occasionally wafting into my nose while he was tutoring me.

I was starting to walk towards the school gate, when I saw Sal get in a red van, and then he saw him. Him. Larry, Larry fucking Johnson. We locked eyes for a brief moment, but when I saw his piercing brown eyes glare at me, I looked away and walked out of school as fast as I could.

As soon as I got home, I looked around for my dad. He wasn't there, he was probably doing a late afternoon service, so he wouldn't be home for a while. I took my shoes off when I got to my room and immediately jumped onto my bed, hugging my sheets and blanket as if they were the most precious thing to me.

It didn't take me much to fall asleep, all I had to do was drink some water before bed and get into a comfortable enough position as I laid on my bed. I closed my eyes, and the only thing I could think about...was Larry.

The way he looked at me, his long hair in a messy half up and half down bun, the way his long fingers wrapped around the wheel as his other arm leaned on the open car window. I thought of everything about Larry, until I fell asleep.