SIX: A Friend In Need

I don't think any of us attempted to go back to sleep that night. I watched the security cameras that were still functional. Damian locked himself in the training room armed with his sword and his mother's dagger. Kara stayed alert and in the kitchen, giving us both some space.

I was about to switch cameras when I saw something unexpected. A portal opened and two bodies fell out of the sky. I zoomed in and was shocked by what I saw.

"Zee!" I cried.

Zatanna Zatara was wrapped protectively in the arms of someone I didn't recognize. He was bloody and looked half-dead. She was bruised and visibly injured, but she looked a lot better than he did.

"She's alive... Zatanna's alive..." I told myself. I was half terrified that I'd fallen asleep after all and this was only a dream, but then I saw Zatanna saying something. A few seconds later, they vanished off of the camera and reappeared in the Bat Cave.

"Zee!" I shouted. I ran to her and flung my arms around her."You're alive... You're here..."

"I'm here, Dick," she confirmed as she hugged me. "And I need your help. Where's Batman?"

That did it. Every wall I'd built shattered at once. I started to cry in her arms.

To her credit, Zatanna immediately understood. "Oh, Dick... I'm so sorry," she said softly.

I forced myself to focus. "You're hurt... And so's the blonde guy."

"His name is John Constantine," Zatanna explained. "He saved my life by opening a portal to Hell. From there, we went to a pocket realm where time moves differently. It was our best chance to survive, especially John... He used the last of his strength to hide us there... But he's lost too much blood, even with time moving slowly... He's dying, and the spell broke."

"He saved you, so he's good in my book. Let me see what I can do." I ran and got the first aid supplies. "Kara! I need you!" I called upstairs.

Kara raced down to us. She looked startled to see that I wasn't alone. "How did they get in?" She asked as she started helping me tend to Constantine.

"Zee has Magic," I replied. "Zatanna, this is Supergirl, also known as Kara. She's Superman's cousin."

"Hi," Kara said sweetly.

"It's nice to meet you, Kara," Zatanna replied. She sighed as she looked at Constantine. "How long were we gone? For us, it was only about three hours."

"It's been three months, Zee," I began. "And until Kara's ship crashed here two days ago, I thought I was the only survivor."

"Three months... My God," Zatanna mumbled. "Who else survived?"

"Gar's alive. So is Harley Quinn. She's helping us... Joker's dead."

"Do we trust her?"

"I'm still on the fence, but I think so. She's risking her life to help us right now... So is Gar."

"What do you mean?"

"He's working undercover with Harley. They're trying to find out who Lex has under his control... He's been turning heroes evil."

Constantine groaned and mumbled, "Bloody Hell..."

"John!" Zatanna cried in relief. "Are you alright?"

"I've been better, luv," he admitted. "Been worse, too." He shook his head. "Where the bloody hell are we?"

"This is the Bat Cave."