𝐓𝐰𝐨, Welcome To The Capitol

𝘑𝘜𝘓𝘐𝘈𝘕𝘈 woke up with a horrible headache, but attempted to ignore the pounding in her head as she picked out an outfit to wear to the train station. She settled on a black striped shirt, denim baggy jeans, her favorite salmon-colored tennis shoes and some white socks. She wanted to be the least amount intimidating to the tributes as she possibly could. 

Once Juliana had her outfit decided, she made her way to the bathroom to shower. She twisted the shower handle to the perfect temperature and began to undress herself before stepping into the warm water. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths as the water ran down her back and through her long brown hair. Juliana, of course, was nervous to meet her tribute. She wanted to make the best impression that she could. She wanted him to trust her.

Once she was cleaned up she turned the faucet off and wrapped a towel around herself. She carefully dried herself — making sure she wouldn't drip any water on the wooden floors of the home — and got dressed. 

She rushed downstairs into the kitchen to prepare food for her tribute to bring to the train station. She opened the cabinets to see a few slices of bread left in a bag. The brunette girl spread out a cloth napkin on the counter and put four slices of bread on top of it before heading to the fridge to retrieve cheese and turkey.

Once she'd made the sandwiches, she folded the napkin over them and stuffed it into her bag. Before she had the chance to exit the house she stopped herself and turned back around to grab two full boxes of crackers. She decided to feed the rest of the tributes as well since she figured most of them probably hadn't eaten since the Reaping and she doubted anyone else's mentors would be making an appearance at the train station.

She snatched her fathers car keys and rushed out of the door in hopes of not being late. She's stolen her fathers car before, this was a normal occurrence. 

Juliana parked the car outside of the train station and rushed inside, stopping in front of the tracks, her breath ragged and uneven as she tried to catch it. 

Footsteps could be heard behind her. "Fancy seeing you here." A familiar voice spoke. "Coriolanus," Juliana greeted, plainly, refusing to look his direction. "Julie," Coriolanus greeted back. "Don't call me that." Juliana ordered, giving him a quick side-eye. "Juliana, then." He said. "Better." Juliana mumbled, eyeing the tracks as if it would make the train appear in front of her. 

Once the train finally arrived in front of Juliana and Coriolanus, the girl took a deep breath and wrapped her hands around the strap of her brown bag before making her way closer to the train. 

After a minute or two, the tributes began making they're way out of the train, each of them assisting they're District mate. Juliana started by the front of the train, by the tributes of District 1 — Facet and Velvereen. "Uhm. Hello," Juliana stammered, staring at the two tributes before reaching into one of the cracker boxes and pulling out a bag of crackers. "You must be hungry, right?" Juliana said, offering Facet and Velvereen the pack of crackers. They glared at her for a moment before Velvereen hesitantly reached her hand out for the crackers. Juliana gave them both a warm smile before moving to the next tributes.

"Marcus, Sabyn, hey. I'm Juliana." Juliana called out, walking toward the now confused District 2 tributes. "Are you two hungry? I brought crackers." Juliana says, reaching into a box for another pack of crackers. "Here." Juliana says quietly, holding out her hand so they could grab the crackers. They had a similar reaction as Facet and Velvereen, but Juliana wasn't surprised. She wouldn't trust someone who she thought was Capitol born either if she we're them. "It's okay," Juliana reassures them, still holding the crackers in front of them. Marcus sighs before finally taking the crackers in his hand. "Thanks." He mumbles. "Your welcome." Juliana whispers back to him with a soft smile before heading over to greet the tributes for District 3. 

After Circ and Teslee — The District 3 tributes — hesitantly accepted Juliana's offering, Juliana clenched her bag once again and slowly walked in the direction of Coral and Mizzen. She takes a deep breath before opening her mouth to speak. "Coral," Juliana says softly, peeking through a small strand of hair covering her left eye. Coral turned around and carefully scanned the uneasy Capitol girl. Coral's lips curve into a deep frown as she glared at Juliana. "It's been awhile." Juliana points out, awkwardly. "Yeah. It has." Coral replies, plainly. "Oh, Are you hungry?" Juliana asks, pulling a bag of crackers from the box. "No. We're fine." Coral grumbled, angrily, pushing Mizzen behind her as if to protect him. "Please, you should really eat." Juliana begged, extending her arm that was a bit shaky. Coral sighs and tightens her jaw before snatching the crackers in a way that seemed inconvenienced. Juliana gave the two a reassuring smile before heading in the direction of Sol and Hy — The District 5 tributes.  

Juliana made her way around passing out crackers to the tributes, and each of them hesitantly accepting them. Eventually, she ended up with her tribute. She took a deep breath before slowly walking up to him and his District partner. "Hello," She says softly. The two just stare her way, the boy — Treech — gave her an untrusting and cautious glare, while the girl — Lamina — gave her a worried and nervous look. They stood there in silence before Juliana realized what she was there for. "Oh, uhm. I brought food." Juliana said reaching for her sandwiches and a pack of crackers. "Here you go." She says, holding out both of her hands that we're full with sandwiches and crackers. "Who are you?" The boy asked, making Juliana realize she hadn't introduced herself. "Oh, sorry. I'm Juliana Craven. Your mentor." She reported, calmly, still holding her arms out in front of her. The black-haired boy raised an eyebrow at Juliana, still untrusting of her. "Mentor?" He questions, Juliana nods her head. "You get one too." Juliana says, taking notice of the worried red head hiding behind the boy. "All of you do." She adds. Treech's expression shifts from cautiousness to utter confusion. 

Before Juliana and Treech could finish their conversation two peacekeepers came up from behind the two tributes and began to drag them away. "Wait! I wasn't done passing out the food—" Juliana cuts herself off with a sigh as the peacekeepers ignored her and continued to lead the tributes to a metal truck. 

Juliana hurried her way over to Coriolanus who had just finished talking to his tribute. "Where are they going?" Juliana asked, looking up at the blue-eyed boy. "I don't know." He replies, scanning the truck. 

The male tribute for district 8 — Bobbin — then attempted an escape and tried to jump the fence, quickly gaining the attention of the two peacekeepers who were loading the truck with the tributes. While the peacekeepers we're distracted by Bobbin, Coriolanus took the opportunity to jump into the truck with the tributes. "Corio—" Juliana hesitated for a moment before following after him and jumping into the truck. 

Juliana and Coriolanus faced the wall of the truck in hopes of not being recognized by the peacekeepers. Once the doors of the metal truck had been shut, Coriolanus and Juliana turned toward the tributes, each one of them glaring at the two Capitol students. "Hi." Coriolanus says sweat glistening on his face. "What's the matter, Pretty Boy? You in the wrong cage?" The district 11 male — Reaper — asked, completely ignoring the clearly anxious brunette stood next to him. Treech's hand falls from grasping onto the handle on the roof of the truck to down at his side. "No. This cage is delightful." Coriolanus replied, a bit of sarcasm in his tone. Reaper went from standing still near the back of the truck to charging toward Coriolanus in a second. "Get him, Reaper." A boy named Tanner remarked as Reaper slammed Coriolanus into the metal wall of the vehicle, making Juliana flinch. "I'll kill you right now." Reaper snapped. "He'll do it too. Reaper killed a Peacekeeper back in 11." A girl named Dill said, her gaze directed toward the floor. "Quiet, Dill." Reaper ordered. 

"I say we all kill him." Bobbin says, lifting himself from the bench in the truck. "I'm in." Brandy agreed, standing up as well. "Nothing left to lose now." Bobbin adds. "What about the girl?" Brandy asks, glaring over to a horrified Juliana. "We kill her too." Bobbin replies, a sly half grin plastered on his face. "Y'all got family back home?" Lucy Gray inquired, directing everyone's attention to her. "They'll kill them if you hurt those two. Then you." She adds. "Besides, he's my mentor. I might need him." Lucy Gray finishes, looking to Coriolanus. "Yeah, I might need my mentor too." Treech steps in, everyone now taking notice of the boy. "That's yours?" Brandy sneered, rudely. "Yeah." Treech replies, in the same tone as Brandy, making her role her eyes. 

"How come you two get menders?" Coral chided. "Mentors." Coriolanus corrects. "You each get one." He explains, before Reaper slams him into the wall again, startling Juliana. "Oh, and we'll just trust you on that? Right?" Coral asks, her eyes shifting around the metal box filled with tributes, looking for agreement. "We're just here to help you." Coriolanus assures them. "Why do Rainbow Girl and Lumberjack get special treatment, hmm?" Coral asks, bending down in front of Lucy Gray. "Why aren't our menders here?" She adds. Lucy Gray looks back to Coriolanus. "Just not inspired, I guess."

The car then begins to rattle and the floor becomes uneven, making the tributes slide toward the doors of the vehicle. Juliana topples over and slams onto the metal doors, a loud grunt coming from the girls lips could be heard echoing through the car. 

The doors then open and the tributes tumble down a pile of rock before landing in the dirt. Juliana's breath strained and desperate from the wind being knocked out of her. "Are you alright?" A soft voice asks, worried for Juliana. She looks to her left to see Treech's District partner — Lamina — staring at her with a startled look in her eyes. "I think so." Juliana replies, still attempting to catch her breath.

Juliana gasps as she realizes she still had the food with her. She quickly sits up and rushes to reach into her bag, praying that at least some of the food hadn't been crushed from the fall. She lets out a sigh of relief as she sees most of the crackers were still in tact and the sandwiches hadn't been smooshed too much. 

"Would you... would you want to take me up on that offer now?" Juliana asks, offering a bag of crackers to Lamina. Her eyes shift back and forth from Juliana and the crackers as she hesitates to accept the food. Eventually, she reaches for the crackers and tears the bag open, shoving a cracker into her mouth, making the corner of Juliana's mouth quirk up. 

Juliana turns her head to see a crowd of people watching through metal bars. Then it set in. They we're in a cage in what seemed to be a zoo. The Capitol really did view people from the Districts as animals.

Juliana watched as a man who introduced himself as "Lucretius "Lucky" Flickerman" spoke to a camera that seemed to be recording live for all of the Capitol citizens to watch. She sighs before lifting herself from the ground and dusting any dirt off of her person. 

"That's right. All 24 of them 'cause—" Flickerman then turns to the direction of the tributes, finally noticing the two Capitol students still recovering from the fall. "What in the gem of Panem?" He says, wondering why two Capitol kids we're in a cage of "Animals"

"That's the Academy rouge, no?" Flickerman asks his cameraman — referring to Coriolanus' uniform — before turning back to the two confused students. "Excuse me. Hello, sir, ma'am." He hollered. "Yes, you. In the red and the striped shirt." Juliana glances down at her shirt as if she'd forgotten what she was wearing. "Who are you and why are you in there with them? We're live." The man's voice echoed through Juliana's ears as her breath became rapid, staring at the large crowd huddled around the cage. "The Capitol is watching." He adds, heightening Juliana's anxiety. 

Both Juliana and Coriolanus stood there anxiously, no words leaving they're mouths. Lucy Gray then grabs Coriolanus' arm and mutters something to him.

"Treech," Juliana whispers, knowing the boy was almost directly behind her. "Yeah?" The boy replies in the same tone as the clearly nervous girl stood in front of him. Juliana peeks over her shoulder, her mouth set in a hard line before she reaches into her bag and pulls the slightly squished sandwiches back out and hands them to Treech. "Eat up." She insists, giving the curly-haired boy a lopsided grin. 

Coriolanus and Lucy Gray had already made they're way toward Flickerman and the crowd, temporarily distracting them from Juliana and her tribute. 

"You gonna go over there and talk to your people, Stripes?" A familiar voice hissed from the left side of Juliana. She lets out a deep sigh. "They aren't my people." Juliana defends, her half smile dropping. Coral scoffs as her lips formed a sarcastic grin. "They became your people when you ditched us in 4." She argued, crossing her arms. "What? I didn't ditch you." Juliana argues back. "Oh, but you did." Coral muttered. "I was forced to leave. 4 was my home." Juliana said, her tone slowly getting louder as she defended herself. "Wait, your District?" Treech steps in, suddenly feeling more comfortable with his mentor knowing that she was District born. 

Coral's lips parted but before the argument could continue Juliana heard her name leave the mouth of Lucy Gray. "Do you know my mentor? Says his name is Coriolanus Snow and clearly, I got the cake with the cream 'cause nobody else has even bothered to show up. Other than Juliana over there." Lucy Gray says, turning to face Juliana and her tribute who was still stood behind her.

Flickerman takes notice of the girl. "Ma'am. Yes, hello." He exclaims excitedly. Juliana sighs before looking to Treech, who gives her a light shrug. "Ma'am? Can you hear me?" Flickerman asks, projecting his voice a bit more as to get Juliana's attention.

"Come with me." She whispers, peering over her shoulder to the curly-haired boy. Treech nods and they begin to walk up to the excited and curious spokesman. "What is your name, young woman?" The man asks, putting the microphone up to Juliana through the bars. "My name is Juliana Craven, and this is my tribute from District 7 — Treech." Juliana says, forcing a fake smile for the camera. The boy gives a subtle wave to the camera before his hand drops back to his side.

"I see," Flickerman says, giving an interested and invested look to the camera. "The Gamemakers did tell you to jump in the cage with them?" Flickerman asks, looking back to Juliana and Coriolanus. "They didn't tell us not to. They just said that it was a mentor's job to introduce our tributes to the citizens of Panem." Coriolanus states, his hands resting behind his back. "And I thought, well, if Lucy Gray is brave enough to be here, then why shouldn't I be, too?" Coriolanus adds. "For the record, I didn't have a choice." Lucy Gray interjected. "For the record, I think you two are about to be whisked away." Flickerman says, his gaze fixated behind the two Capitol students. 

Coriolanus and Juliana quickly turn around to see four peacekeepers rushing up from behind them to collect the two. "Treech, take this!" Juliana says, frantically rolling her back off of her shoulder and tossing it to Treech as she was being dragged away by two peacekeepers. 

Juliana and Coriolanus busted through the white doors of the classroom and made they're way up the stairs and to their seats. "Your little excursion was in violation of about five different Academy rules, Mr. Snow, Ms. Craven." Highbottom detailed, his eyes glued to the papers on his table. "Chief amongst them, endangering Capitol students." 

"What? Who?" Coriolanus barked. "Yourselves." Highbottom answers as Juliana sits down and slouches in her seat. "I'm moving for the Gamemakers to disqualify you as mentors immediately." 

"What!?" Juliana blurted before Coriolanus interjected. "You said we had to get our tributes to perform, not that we had to stay away." He says, his fingers pressed against the desk in anger. "I'll add insubordination as well." Highbottom rebuttals. "Holding her hand, Coryo, introducing her to people, you make it look as if we're one in the same as those animals." Arachne chimes in. "Shut up, Arachne." Juliana snapped.

"Coriolanus and Juliana didn't show those people anything they didn't already know." Sejanus interfered, defending his two friends. "I don't need your help, Sejanus." Coriolanus says quietly. "That the tributes are human beings. Just like us." Sejanus continues, ignoring Coriolanus' words. "That's why nobody wants to watch the Games. It's because people know deep down that winning a war 10 years ago doesn't justify starving peoples children, taking away their freedoms, their rights."

Sejanus was then interrupted by Dr. Gaul who seemingly appeared out of nowhere, reciting a poem as she slowly made her way down the stairs. "Snow and Craven fell down in the cage. It fell down in the cage but it landed..." She pauses, hoping for Juliana or Coriolanus to complete it. "On stage." Coriolanus finishes. "Your good at Games. Maybe one day, you'll be a Gamemaker like me." Her lips curved into a grin. 

"If the Games continue at all." Highbottom chimes in. "Oh, they'll continue. With performances like young Mr. Snow and Ms. Craven's in that zoo." Gaul says, shutting Highbottom down. "And I came here to ask your star mentors a question." She adds, looking to the star mentors in question — Juliana and Coriolanus.

"What are the Hunger Games for?" She asks. "They're to punish the Districts for their uprising." Snow answers with little to no hesitation. "And to commemorate the— the end of the war..." Juliana stammers, hesitating to speak, but not wanting to get herself into trouble by speaking her mind. ",,Commemorate the..." Dull, dull dull." Gaul interrupted, making Juliana look down toward her lap. "Punishment can take myriad of forms. Why not drop bombs, cancel food shipments, stage executions? Why Games?" She questions not only the two, but now the entire class. 

"Shouldn't we be asking ourselves whether or not they're right in the first place?" Sejanus interferes once more. "You have a problem with my Games?" Gaul challenges the boy. "Some of those kids were two years old when the war ended. The oldest of them were only eight!" Sejanus snapped, his jaw clenched. "The Capitol is supposed to be everyone's government now. It is supposed to protect all of us. I don't see how making children fight each other to the death is protecting anyone." Juliana thought couldn't have said it better herself.

"That sort of sympathy might interfere with your mentoring assignment." Gaul teased. "Perhaps the Capitol students are ill-suited to be mentoring tributes. Perhaps the Game's time has passed." Highbottom said calmy, looking up toward the woman. 

"Dean Highbottom is wrong. My classmates, too. Maybe Sejanus is onto something here." Coriolanus blurts, a sense of hope burning in Juliana and Sejanus' eyes, praying that someone would finally be on their side. "Maybe we should be viewing those tributes as human beings. I mean you saw those kids at the zoo, they just... they just wanted to get to know Lucy Gray." Coriolanus explained. "If we need people to watch, we should be letting them get closer to the tributes before the Games. To make the stakes personal."

That glimmer of hope in Sejanus and Juliana's eyes slowly died out hearing Coriolanus' words. "Who will watch the Games if they care what happens to the tributes?" Gaul questions, her hands linked together in front of her. "Everyone." Coriolanus ensures her. "If they thought the tribute they cared about had a chance of winning."

Juliana sighs, shaking her head lightly. 

"People need someone to root for and someone to root against. We need them to invest. And if we bend a few Capitol laws, we could even have them place bets." Coriolanus states, leading Juliana to mutter a quiet "Oh my god." under her breath. 

"Look, I know Lucy Gray may not win in the arena but if you give her a chance," Coriolanus pauses for a moment before looking to a disappointed Sejanus. "I would bet the Plinth prize that she can win peoples attention." 

"I'd like you to write up a proposal of these thoughts, Mr. Snow." Gaul says. "Wait." A frantic Clemensia says, pushing herself up from her seat. "You mean you might actually use his ideas?" She asks, her hands pressed against the desk. "If it'll help the ratings, why not." Gaul replies. "Coriolanus and I are class partners, Dr. Gaul." Clemensia says before Gaul had the chance to exit the room. "We do all of our assignments together." 

Gaul lets out an amused chuckle. "It'll be an interesting test."