53 | Family Business

DANTE
***

The tension in the room was palpable as I leaned against the dark brown desk, my arms crossed tightly, my gaze fixed intently on Lorenzo. His demeanor was as stoic as ever as he took a sip of his whiskey, his eyes never wavering from mine.

"Well, the FBI seems to have specific details about our shipments and operations. They're hitting us where it hurts the most," Lorenzo began, his voice low and measured.

My jaw clenched at the news. "How and why?" I demanded, my frustration simmering beneath the surface.

Lorenzo's gaze remained steady, his expression grave. "I've been investigating our inner circle. There's a pattern, Dante. The leaks match with someone in our inner circle."

My eyebrows furrowed in concern as I absorbed his words, the weight of the situation settling heavily upon me.

"My prime suspects are Vito, Michael, and Alessio," Lorenzo continued, his tone somber.

Alessio.

The mention of his name ignited a surge of anger within me. He had already shown a keen interest in Diana, and now he was a suspect? It seemed too convenient to be a coincidence.

"Where has Alessio been during all of this?" I pressed, my voice tight with suspicion.

Lorenzo sighed heavily. "He's been working closely with our shipping logistics. It's the perfect cover. I'm still gathering more evidence, but he's one of my prime suspects."

I ran a hand through my hair, frustration coursing through me like a raging river. "We can't afford a traitor in our midst. If Alessio or any of the others you mentioned are the ones, we need to handle this discreetly."

Lorenzo nodded in agreement, his resolve unwavering. "I've set up a meeting for tomorrow. Whatever happens, we need to act swiftly."

As we fell into a heavy silence, my mind raced with possibilities, each one more dire than the last. Too many years of hard work and sacrifice were on the line.

But amidst the chaos, Lorenzo's words cut through the air like a knife. "I couldn't help but notice Alessio trying to get closer to Diana."

My blood ran cold at the implication. Had Alessio's motives been more sinister than I had realized?

"Have you told her anything? About what we do?" Lorenzo's voice was tinged with concern, but his words held a warning.

I shook my head firmly. "No. And I won't."

Lorenzo took a long drag of his cigar, the smoke curling around him. "She could be a liability, Dante. You know what we'd have to do if she became a threat."

My jaw clenched at the suggestion, my loyalty to Diana unshakable. "We're not doing anything to Diana. And she wouldn't betray us. I trust her," I asserted, my voice laced with conviction.

But Lorenzo's expression remained resolute, his concern for our family's safety overriding any sentimentality. "Business is good right now, Dante. We can't afford distractions. If Alessio poses a threat, deal with it discreetly," he urged, his tone a sober reminder of the stakes at hand.

I met his gaze with steely determination. "I'll handle Alessio. But I won't let anything happen to Diana," I promised, my resolve unyielding.

Lorenzo regarded me for a moment longer, his expression softening barely. "Just don't let personal matters cloud your judgment, Dante. Our mafia comes first," he cautioned his words a stark reminder of the responsibilities that weighed heavily upon me.

With that, Lorenzo extinguished his cigar with a decisive flick, his gaze lingering on me for a moment longer before he left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the weight of being a grand part of a mafia on my shoulders.