Chapter 1. Desolate

♡ ⸺⸺⸺ -ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- ⸺⸺⸺ ♡

Jisung stared at the clock impatiently, watching as time slowly ticked past. It was the period before lunch, and it was also the period Jisung hated the most; calculus. The teacher was boring, the subject even worse for that matter, and Jisung really could not find it within him to care about any of it. He did his school work, took his tests and provided good grades. But he always looked forward to lunch.

He spent most of his days in high school alone, isolating himself simply for the sake of protecting his emotions, but the day he met Lee Minho, all of his walls came tumbling down.

Minho was awfully persistent, doing everything in his power at the beginning of this current school year to convince Jisung to just talk to him. Jisung tried denying him, over and over again, but that only willed Minho to try harder.

Jisung was the picturesque loner, equipped with headphones, a playlist of grungy, pop music, and enough pre-college courses to keep his mind busy. An avid reader on top of that, Jisung barely abused any time he had at home to avoid meticulous thoughts of how truly lonely he had felt. His parents were supportive regardless, and sometimes even encouraged Jisung to try and make friends so he could at least act like a normal teen. Jisung always shook his head and said that he wasn't interested, that is, until Minho came around.

His friendship with Minho was a low, crackling flame, supported by the will of Minho consistently reigniting the fire so it burned brighter. Jisung had never had someone so interested in him, which at first, really creeped him out. But to be fair, Minho used the excuse that he needed help studying and that 'Jisung was the smartest person in his class'. Jisung could hardly find it within himself to deny the male, especially when Minho was so soft spoken and slightly sarcastic.

Now, nearly seven months later, their friendship was beyond anything Jisung could ever comprehend. Minho had always been gentle with him, kind and understanding, things Jisung hardly ever experienced. Lunch was no exception to this, because almost every day since their newly-forged friendship, Minho had dragged Jisung to his table to sit with his friends.

Chris, the eldest of the group, always sat at the end of the table. He was heartwarming and kind, always understanding and willing to listen. But if there was anything specific to know about him, it was that he'd do just about anything to protect his close-knit group.

Changbin was the group's wildcard. Jisung never knew how to communicate with the male, considering one moment he'd be bouncing off the walls and chugging energy drinks, and the next he'd be a sad, mopey mess crying about his ex. Changbin was noted as weird in Jisung's mental diary.

Hyunjin was the group's pretty boy, not that Jisung could ever dream of getting with him as the male was practically glued to Felix's hip. The two had been dating for a long time, nearly a year at this point, and were hardly found away from one another. Hyunjin was the captain of the school's dance team while Felix was the leading photographer of the school's yearbook. Jisung admired their bond and relationship, and at times, often envious that he couldn't have anything like that.