One

"Please Marilla, I'll only be gone for a week." Anne said with annoyance in her voice. "No Anne, there is no one to escort you."

"But Miss. Josephine is expecting me to be there tomorrow morning." Marilla slammed the dish rag she was using to clean on the counter and turned to face Anne. "Anne Shirley-Cuthbert, my answer is final, you will not go without an escort." Anne let out a yell of anger and stomped up the stairs of Green Gables and into her room making sure to slam the door so everyone in the house knew she was upset. "No slamming doors in my house Anne!"

Matthew emerged from his room moments later and sat down at the table. "What's the matter with Anne?" Marilla huffed and sat down next to him. "She wrote to Josephine Barry asking if she could visit, and Miss. Barry said she could visit tomorrow through next Friday. But she has no one to accompany her." Matthew sighed and sunk back into his chair. "What about Diana?" "Diana is on vacation with her family, and even if she wasn't there still has to be a boy on the trip." Marilla felt like the bad guy, but she would not be able to live with herself if something bad happened to Anne. "I'll figure something out." Matthew said, he then grabbed a piece of bread from the table and left, leaving Marilla alone in the kitchen.

"Good morning Mr. Cuthbert" Jerry said, walking into the stables. "Morning Jerry, I'll be gone for a good hour, just do whatever needs doing and don't tell Marilla." Jerry nodded and watched as Matthew rode off on Belle.

As Matthew approached his destination, he made a clicking noise signaling Belle to slow down. He hopped off and walked up to the Blythe house. He knocked a few times and waited for someone to open the door, after a couple seconds he knocked again. The door opened and Bash stood at the door holding Delphine. "Morning Mr. Cuthbert, what can I do for you?" Matthew cleared his throat and smiled. "I need to speak with Gilbert." Bash nodded and led Matthew inside. "Blythe, you have a visitor!" Matthew thanked Bash and sat down at the table; Bash sat Delphine in her chair then got back to cooking breakfast.

"Mr. Cuthbert, what brings you here so early?" Matthew looked over to Gilbert who appeared to have just woken up. "I needed to ask a favor from you." Gilbert sat down across the table from him and nodded. "Anne was hoping to visit Miss. Barry tomorrow but there is no one to accompany her. We both know she can- uh- fend for herself but-" "You want me to go with her?" Matthew nodded and took a sip from the cup that Bash had sat in front of him. "I know it's a lot to ask and in such short notice, but I will pay for your ticket both ways." Gilbert shook his head, "No need, I've been needing to go to Charlottetown. But Anne will not go if she knows I am going." Matthew nodded. "I thought of that, maybe you can just meet her at the train station and act like you aren't going to watch over her." Gilbert and Bash let out a small laugh. "Cheeky Mr. Cuthbert, I like it." Bash said as he slid a plate in front of Gilbert, Matthew let out a laugh as well. "Well, you know her she won't go unless we trick her." Gilbert nodded and took a bite from his food. "How long will Blythe be gone?" "Bout a week and a half." Bash sighed and rubbed his head. "I'm not sure I can take care of Delly and the farm alone for that long." Matthew looked over at Delphine who was smiling, oblivious to everything. "Marilla can look after her, or I can send over Jerry to the help on the farm." Bash smiled and let out a chuckle, "You really want Anne to go huh?" "she's dead set on going, I want her to be happy. So, what do you say gilbert?" Gilbert sat there for a second and thought everything over. "I'll go, I don't want Anne to be upset."

"Matthew Cuthbert, where were you? I came out here to give you some food and you were gone. Poor Jerry was out in the snow all alone, what if he dropped dead?" Matthew ignored what Marilla said and told her how he had found a way for Anne to visit Miss. Barry.

"You spoil her too much, but I guess if Gilbert wants to go, I'll allow it. Now go get back to work." Matthew smiled and went off to help Jerry in the barn.

"Anne, can you come down for a minute?" The sound of a door opening and closing could be heard throughout the house. "Why do you just want to ruin my life some more?" Anne slowly made her way down the stairs and sat down at the table with Marilla. "I'm hoping this will make your life better. I've decided to change my mind and allow you to go tomorrow. As long as you promise to be safe and not talk to any strangers." Anne's eyes lit up with joy and she rushed to hug Marilla. "Oh, thank you Marilla now I won't have to spend my days futzing, you truly are terrific! I must pack." Anne rushed upstairs almost tripping over her own two feet. "Careful Anne!" Marilla yelled with a smile.