two

Anne woke up early the morning she was set to make sure she had packed everything she needed. When she had finished going over her mental list five times, she was sure she had everything. As if on que Marilla yelled for her to go downstairs. "Jerry will be riding with you to the train station and dropping you off there. I love you very much please be safe." Anne wrapped her arms around Marilla and squeezed her tight. "I love you too, and I will." Marilla waved goodbye to Anne from the front porch as she and Jerry left. "Lord watch over her."

That morning Gilbert found himself running behind, he had barely packed the night before leaving him in a panic trying to find everything he needed. "Blythe the train will leave without you." Gilbert let out a huff of frustration, finally giving up and grabbing his half full bag and running downstairs. "I'll see you in a week, are you sure you're fine with that." Bash nodded and shoved Gilbert out of the door. "Yes, now go before you miss it." And just like that gilbert was running to make sure he made it in time.

"Isn't that the boy from your class?" Anne turned around and saw Gilbert, his eyes were wondering as if he was looking for someone. As soon as he saw Anne, he let out a sigh of relief and walked over to her. "Gilbert, you look ... cattywampus." Gilbert had a look of confusion on his face but disregarded the comment. "Funny to see you here Anne." She nodded and looked back at Jerry. "Thank you, you can leave now." Jerry rolled his eyes and rode away. "I suppose it is rather odd to see you here. But I am going to have the best week imaginable and I'm not going to let your presents ruin it." Anne turned slightly away from Gilbert and saw the train coming in. "We'll see about that." Gilbert said under his breath.

The train started boarding and Anne immediately got on, Gilbert hadn't noticed until he turned and didn't see Anne. He hastily looked around, worried sick that he had lost her. "Last call!" Gilbert ran to the entrance and handed the man his ticket, he rushed to look around the train finally his eyes landed on the girl with fiery red hair. He let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding. He quickly took the seat facing Anne and grabbed her hand. "Gilbert I was wondering if you wer-" "Never run off like that again." Gilbert said with a stern voice. Anne felt compelled to nod, even though she would have normally argued. He sounded so worried, as if he genuinely cared.

An hour had passed, and the ride was painfully silent. Anne was too embarrassed to talk, and Gilbert had nothing to say. "I'm going to see Miss. Josephine, why are you going?" Gilbert looked over from his window at Anne. "I'm looking after someone." Anne was, for the first time in a while, puzzled. "Who, do I know them?" Gilbert nodded and let out a yawn. "Are you going to tell me?" gilbert shook his head and looked back out of the window. "I guess I'll just follow you around until I figure it out." Gilbert shrugged and closed his eyes. "I have a blanket in my bag if you would like it." Anne offered. He opened his eyes slightly and looked at her, now she was the worried one. "Are you okay?" Gilbert asked, he sat up and fully opened his eyes to examine her. "I feel a sort of tension between us, and as much as I hate to admit it, I like being your friend. Did I do something wrong?" Anne looked as if she was going to cry, and Gilbert hated it. "No, you did nothing wrong. You just scared me when you walked off, I thought someone took you." Anne wiped her face and smiled. "Why does it matter though, we aren't traveling together." Gilbert sighed and decided it would be best to come clean. "About that..."

"I'm sorry what?!" Gilbert pinched his nose and turned to apologize to the people sitting next to them. "Thats why I didn't want to tell you, I'm sorry Anne." Anne huffed and grabbed her bag; the train had stopped, and she wasn't going to waste one second more being next to Gilbert. Gilbert grabbed his bag and followed Anne, this time making sure she never left his sight. "Anne, slow down." "No, I do not need a man, no not man, a boy to watch over me." Guilbert realized he left one of his bags back at their seats. "Anne wait for me." Gilbert heard Anne scoff and knew that she wouldn't wait for him. He hurried to grab the bag and get off the train. Once he finally got off, he didn't see Anne anywhere. "Damnit." He looked around and saw a group of people crowding around someone who was yelling, Anne it was Anne. Gilbert ran straight to the crowd and pushed his way through. He saw Anne struggling against the grip of a much older man. "She's my daughter, no need to worry." The man said with a menacing smile, Gilbert obviously knew better.

"Let go of her!" Gilbert dropped his bags and grabbed the man's wrist, pulling his hand off of Anne's. "She's my daughter!" The man threw a few punches at Gilbert, two of them hitting him right on his eye. "Gilbert!" Anne yelled as she ran up to him. The man, finally realizing that they knew each other, ran off. Gilbert tried to run after him, but he felt a throbbing pain run through his body. Anne grabbed his bags and placed her hand on his shoulder. "Let's get you to Miss. Barry's."

_________

don't be a ghost reader, I love reading comments so don't be scared to leave them :)