Magazines, pajamas, and a phone call

I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE THEPARAGRAPHS CLOSER TOGETHER RAAAH🦅🦅 also i changed pov to first person its easier sometimes it might switch between chapters just bear with me btw there's a teeny weeny bit of angst

 The next week passed in a blur. School was not getting any more interesting. The work seemed too easy, there was barely any homework to focus on, and my friendship with Missy was my only one so far. Nobody else seemed at all interested in striking up a conversation, not even for a group activity.
     The Friday of that new week, Missy once again invited me over for a sleepover, but this time, she asked me to stay for two nights. She suggested I come over on Friday and stay until Sunday morning, since they had church. I gratefully accepted this idea, of course. I wasn't about to turn this opportunity down.
     One thing I had been worrying about is my inability to think about Missy or the Coopers in general without first thinking of Sheldon. I couldn't understand why that little dweeb was crossing my mind so often, and I don't think I could figure out why even if I tried. There was only one solution I could think of, but that would be a last resort if there were no other explanations to turn to.

     I packed everything I assumed I would need that Saturday evening. A change of clothes, some pajamas (which was just an oversized shirt and some plaid Pj pants), toothbrush, the basics. I also hid some of my magazines underneath everything, since I knew Mary would never think to check my stuff for them if she did find out about them.
     Missy said she could come and get me when they were ready for me to come over, which she estimated was around 1. I had about 10 minutes to wait, or longer if her guess was wrong. I exited my room and headed to the living room, not feeling like secluding myself in my room to wait. Nobody was in here, which I wasn't too mad about. I do enjoy a little me time.
     In what seemed like no time, I heard a soft rapping on the door. I had been quite invested in the bake-off I was watching, the time almost being up. I waited for the results, before finally heading to the door after the fifth knock. I threw it open, embracing Missy right away. She seemed very excited to see me, which I will always be thankful for. Her smile was contagious. 
     On the way to her house, we walked slowly, talking each others ears off. She offered to take my bag when we were inside, though it was just one small one. I denied her offer, heading to her room to set it down, while she went to the kitchen to talk to her mom, Mrs. Cooper. 
     As I was leaving her room again, I heard muffled talking coming from somewhere that definitely wasn't the kitchen. I quickly pinpointed the source of the talking to Sheldon's room. I didn't want to be nosy, but it sounded like he was in a heated discussion on the phone, and nobody was around, so surely it couldn't hurt to listen. I tiptoed to the door, pressing my ear against the door gently and cupping my hand over my other ear as to hear better. I promised myself I would not stay here for longer than a minute. 

"...think it is. I believe you're wrong. (pause) Well, yes, but- (pause) I suppose I do, but then again- (pause) Okay, okay, I see your point! *sigh* I suppose your argument holds strong.. w-well, these could also be symptoms of an illness of sorts! There are many things this could be. (pause) Well, no. It seems to only be around her. (long pause) I suppose I have no choice. Thank you, Dr. Sturgis. You have been most helpful."

     The sound of a phone clicking back into the receiver, and then footsteps. My thoughts were racing so fast I had no time to think up any excuse, or even to run. The best I could do was hurriedly stumble back and pretend to be walking the other way. I heard the door open behind me and a small gasp, before it went silent. I didn't dare look, deciding to act like I was just heading to the bathroom from Missy's room, which thankfully was close enough to where it hopefully didn't look suspicious.
    I leaned against the door the second it was shut safely behind me, listening for anything else. I heard slow footsteps, which paused right outside the door, and then heard them walk away, the pace having quickened suddenly, as if he had somewhere to be. I finally released the heavy breath I had no idea I had been holding, my muscles loosening. I didn't realize I had been so worried he would catch me. Maybe a little more worried than usual. 

     I tiptoed down the hallway, cautious in case someone was waiting for me. To my relief, nobody was. Before I turned the corner to enter the dining area, I heard arguing in hushed voices. They were two voices I knew well, Missy and Sheldon.

"...without consulting me. It is, in fact, my house too."
"She's my friend, I can do whatever the hell I want."
"Melissa Cooper, language!"
"Well, you know how I feel about her. It would've been polite to ask or at least let me know, especially since she's staying for two nights. I don't think I can bear it for two whole nights."

     I decided I had heard quite enough. I stomped in place a few times to make it seem like I was coming down the hallway, which instantly hushed the voices. I turned the corner, trying not to show any emotion I was currently feeling on my face. They were both looking at me like two deer in headlights, being the only two at the dinner table. I thought he had liked me, not hated me. I realized I must have been taking this all wrong. 
     I sat down a little more harshly than I had intended, giving them both my best smile. Missy seemed a little suspicious, but Sheldon had already looked away and back down at the empty plate in front of him. I sighed under my breath and looked around the room, trying to find one specific thing to focus on so I didn't start crying or something stupid. Yeah, I know, it's kind of dramatic, but it was the only way I felt at the moment. Sad. Sad I had misunderstood his feelings. 

     When everyone had finally taken their places at the table and the food was laid out for consumption, everybody took each others hands for grace. I closed my eyes and waited to feel the itchy wooly against my hand, but it didn't come. Instead, I felt Sheldon's bare skin, like I had felt last time. And like last time, I opened my eyes to make sure I was correct. He was wearing the mitten on his left for his father, but he had, again like last time, taken the right mitten off quickly to grab my hand. Instead of feeling grateful or special, I felt a bit angry. Why was he leading me on like this?? 
     I didn't fuss or complain or make a scene however. I simply stayed still and allowed it to happen. I mean, I didn't not like the contact. I was just upset about the situation behind the contact. I ate my dinner as fast as I possibly could without choking before asking to be excused early, hiding in the bathroom until I heard Missy head back to her room. I needed to talk to her and confirm my suspicions.