04: the beginning

LALA wiped the side of the Supra with a clean cloth, smoothing down the last decal that she put on

LALA wiped the side of the Supra with a clean cloth, smoothing down the last decal that she put on. While everyone called it quits for the night many hours ago she had stayed behind needing the distraction. She smiled at the finished product that she designed for Dom and Brian with Jesse's help. The two men approved of the look that she had shown them the other morning. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she stood up and put the rag on the bench. Even though she had done an amazing job on the work and was as civil as possible with Brian now being around all the time...she didn't feel good about it. Almost as if the car was some sort of omen in the back of her mind.

Over the past few days, she had been racing with Brian to get him prepped for Race Wars and races in general. He was a solid racer but he was too eager to win and didn't think smart while going through the runs, like more experienced drivers. He also used his NOS way too soon. Lala had even made a sly joke when he did it for the third time. She told him to 'take it easy, Brian the Bullet'. Fortunately for Lala - Letty was at each and every so called 'training session', so she didn't have to speak with him about anything other than the car and what they were doing that day. Call it a sister sense of sorts but Letty knew in her gut not to leave Lala with Brian for too long alone.

Lala rolled her neck and sighed. She missed her bed back home so badly and part of her even missed her training gym at Headquarters. The place she trained field officers. She shook her head and walked away from the vehicle and grabbed a beer out of the mini fridge. Sitting down on the couch, she leaned her elbows on her knees and started reminiscing about their old lives. How much simpler things felt before he left and everything leading up to now.

FLASHBACK June of 2000

FLASHBACK
June of 2000

Lala sat at a picnic table near the pier with her sketchbook in front of her. Donnie, her father, had left her to explore while he explored Haley - his wife. She sketched different symbols and abstract pieces in random placements all over the page. There was no rhyme or reason to the doodles.

Not too long into her sitting there, another girl joined with a sketchpad of her own. Suki. She had long brown hair that hung in seasalt covered curls over her shoulders, freckles covered her sunkissed skin and she wore a simple blue top and shorts. The girl was naturally beautiful and Lala couldn't help but to stare every time she saw her.