Prologue

Night Moves - Bob Seger

"When you just don't seem to have as much to lose

Strange how the night moves

With autumn closin' in"

Two Days until Open

Flipping the heavy lock and hearing the door chime has become my favorite way to start my day. After six long months of fixing up this place, it's only days from officially opening. I've spent countless hours cleaning it up, with the help of my brothers, obviously. But it has come together and finally feels like mine.

"Goodmoooooorning!" Josh sings from across the room.

"Good Morrow!" I can't help the slight accent that comes along with it.

Josh has been helping me decorate, thrift, and create things to match the aesthetic here. Deciding to develop a piratical vibe with a touch of retro themes felt right. We've spent hours finding the perfect pieces to hang, and thankfully, Josh has a good eye for all that. Red neon signs adorned the walls, with my favorite "Sinners Welcome" sign hanging behind the bar.

"I think we are getting close to finishing with the decor," Josh says, turning to make eye contact with me.

"If you're happy with it, then I'm happy with it," I said, smiling back at him. "Just let me know what I can do to help. Otherwise, I'll be organizing until the cows come home."

The door chimes ringing as Sam, our younger brother, walks through the door, Daniel quickly following behind.

Daniel has practically been part of our family since we were kids, so he is treated like a brother. He and Sam went to school together and instantly attached at the hip, so he was at our house often throughout the years. When the time came, he chose not to go away for college, and I helped him get a job with me at the Shipyard. Unfortunately, it wasn't a glamorous job, but it's one of the better-paying options— at least it wasn't a factory.

"Okay, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, we come bearing gifts, and by that, I mean, I hope you like these coffees," Sam announces as he makes his way to the bar, "black– because I texted both of you and neither replied, so it's your fault."

"Some of us have jobs, Sam," I said back.

Josh pulls out his phone, and I can see him click around for a second, "Oh yeah, there it is."

Sam abruptly set the coffee on the bar in front of us with a shit-eating grin.

"Mental note, keep coffee creamer," Josh mumbles and Sam holds a bag out to him before taking a sip.

"I didn't forget your caramel cold foam whipped cream bullshit that you put in your coffee."

Josh's face lights up at the sight, "Wow, you do care about me," putting on the dramatics per usual, "Also– I better not be Tweedle Dum."

Sam let out a sinister laugh with an exaggerated shrug, "Guess we'll never know!"

Since Sam got home from college, he's been helping Josh and myself get everything done for the bar. Often, he's reluctant or tries to make it seem that way. I can tell that he likes to be a part of everything. He's been offering to take pictures of the bar. We have all the beer available, so we can post them on our Instagram, which I'm glad he understands is part of the business because I do not.

"Thank you, Samuel," I say. "Lucky for you, I always take my coffee black."

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯