[2b] Someone's Safe Space (2/2)

[Aura’s POV]

Well, this is harder than I thought. That Hal person is supposed to be easy to find, especially that their head, sweater, and soul tail glows like a lantern. I couldn’t find them anywhere. They either got out of the woods or hid somewhere. It would be the best idea to try and use my hearing magic, which lets me hear within 50 feet.

I focused on my breathing and especially my hearing. I stood still and closed my eyes, I started to hear rustling noises from far away and… someone’s heartbeat!

Aura: “Gotcha!”

Although I shouldn’t get my hopes up. There are a few creatures who live in this woods and it probably belongs to them. But the only way to know is to go closer. So I started to walk and investigate who’s heartbeat could that be…

[Nautilus’ POV]

This is getting really boring. Hal is nowhere to be found and I have zero idea where’s the way back home. Agh! Only if I didn’t make a deal with that god wannabe, I should’ve been just at home, feeding my fishies! But… he said he can fulfill my wishes if I took Hal’s souls and gave them to him. Can he even fulfill wishes? Why does he need their souls anyway?

Suddenly, that shadow passed by again, interrupting my thoughts. I held my trident up and looked around.

Nautilus: “W-Who’s there? Show yourself!”

I took a step back, not noticing a rock behind me. So I tripped and fell down from a high place, also not realizing that there’s a hole beside it. I let out an embarrassing scream as I fell into the abyss.

[Back to Hal]

You knew it. The drawing strangely resembles you in a way. But… How did he know what you look like? You have never met him before! Unless…

Hal: Could he also be one of those people who are after me?

I look back at Puffer, who just shed a tear. His frown got bigger as he closed his eyes. You hear him quietly sobbing. Now you feel even more bad. Maybe you should really do the thing you’ve always wanted to do to him on the first meeting.

 Maybe you should really do the thing you’ve always wanted to do to him on the first meeting

You grab Puffer and hug him tightly, startling him. That causes his spikes on the head to emerge a little. Thank god it wasn’t all the way, he could’ve killed you! He then continued to cry even more on your shoulder as he hugs you back.

Puffer: “I’m so sorry! I- I made a deal with this person… “god”... and he sent me and the others to steal your souls and grant our wishes and- and-”

Hal: “Shh… It’s okay. I understand. You don’t wanna hurt anyone. But could you explain more about what’s happening? Why does he want ME? What was he trying to achieve?”

Puffer didn’t respond.

Hal: “Sorry… You don’t have to answer that.”

You two continue to hug each other, and Puffer continues to be unresponsive.