04. UNWANTED FATE

The Central Plains was the ecological region located at the center of Asterin, generally denoted as the lower reaches of the river known as the Crystal Creek. Sometimes, they referred to this place as the Asterin Tundra or the Tundra Plains with few trees, mostly flat but occasionally broken up by hills and outcrops. However, some parts were connected to certain untouched forests where creatures of the foul lands dwell.

The use of aero vehicles was extensive in the whole of Asterin, mostly in the central plains favoring less noise so as not to accidentally awaken the ghost giants known to many as the Spriggans. These ghosts were also dubbed the "highway patrols" ensuring that the areas between the Great Divide stayed neutral and peaceful, away from the ongoing conflict among the Lycan clans.

So, it was only understandable that they would appear after Rumiel and Vinzer took their rivalry seriously on the empty road of the central plains...

Snarling loudly, Rumi swerved into the oncoming lane and the bike tore forward. Blasting to the distant horizon, but not before seeing Vinzer's smug grin. He wasn't alone though; he had a passenger right behind him who seemed to be holding on to his body a little too close for comfort.

For some reason, something in Rumi stirred as he saw this and he boosted the revs to accelerate the speed of the aero car faster. He did this unknowingly, letting his temper take over his decision.

"Rumi, what the hell are you doing?!" Lev was now hysterical, mostly fearing for his own welfare as he tried to hold on for his dear life. He felt as if his soul literally left his body!

Lycans were born with a strong constitution, long life, endless youth, and physical strength and body that needed a specific weapon for it to be wounded, but not immortality. Though in a sense, they could be considered as one since they were difficult to put down, death was still not far from the possibility. Not to mention that they could still break their bones and it would still hurt like hell.

"Slow the fuck down!"

Rumiel was beyond reason and he just wanted to smash the vehicle straight to that aero bike. Vinzer must've sensed his intention and the two of them ended up engaging in a highway combat while both of their passengers were howling expletives next to their ears.

Neither was willing to listen.

The aero bike that Vinzer used was unlike the ordinary one. They had proven this when it slammed at the back of their car. Lev lost his voice as he yelled and the car started to shake. Rumi weaved in and out of the oncoming lane several times before regaining control. When using an aero vehicle, they must follow a certain guide that appears like a ribbon of light. Leaving this guide meant losing power on the aero vehicle---

WHAM!

The bike hit the back of the sedan again.

"What the hell is that bike made of? Pure steel?!"

Rumi had no time to respond as he tried desperately to control the car as it crossed the oncoming lane, veered off the 'light' guide, and roughly lurched onto the dirt shoulder. It shook violently as Rumi tried to get it back onto the guide again. Lev screamed as Rumi grappled the wheel but the sensor of the aero vehicle detected that they were no longer following the path at a terrifying speed, unable to negotiate a sharp turn.

Blasting through a wooden fence and into an open field, even Vinzer's eyes widened and apprehension marred his face. He felt his heart skip a beat as he pressed the brakes on his motorcycle, and jumped out of it, leaving the equally hysterical Vasily behind.

As Rumi slammed on his brakes and rocketed into the tall grass, he felt the aero vehicle's engine shut down. He and Lev were tossed around like ragdolls but once they felt it completely stopped, they raised their heads and met the blazing eyes of the grotesquely huge, ghost-like entity with large childlike heads of the so-called "Highway Patrolman".