12. THE BAD WOLF

The moment Rumiel left the room, Vinzer's smile faded, and only then did he turn his frigid attention to the leader of the Grey Monks who served as the mediator.

Vinzer peered at the man's face steadily. Like most of his kin, it was difficult to determine the age of this sullen figure. They were also bald, unlike the pagan priest with a red dot on their foreheads. The only similar thing they shared was their peculiarity.

"When I mentioned that he was my Luna, you didn't react much," Vinzer spoke. "Are your kind aware of the prophecy?"

The man slowly turned his head to him. "We are not allowed to discuss the Oracle's vision."

"That's not really my question." He suddenly remembered that the Grey Monks often referred to the pagan priests as 'Oracles' which was actually a fitting name. "So, are you?"

"Yes."

Vinzer glanced at the watch on his wrist as if he was waiting. He knew the summit wasn't over and that Rumiel was probably only trying to blow off some steam or raving to his companions before they resumed. This was a summit that he ordered after all and they must come to an agreement before they left the place, otherwise, the Grey Monks would not open their doors again for the next ten years.

"Your kind are fond of giving names to the lurkers of the Central Plains," Vinzer continued. "For instance, you refer to the pagan priests as 'the Oracles' and the highway patrolmen as the 'Ghost Guardians'. Tell me, what would you call that ONE? That child destined to be born from both male Alphas who has the power to unite this world?"

The monk didn't have much reaction on his face but his eyes unexpectedly glowed at Vinzer's sudden fascination about the subject, and to the Alpha's astonishment, the Grey Monk answered, "The Ultima; a rare breed of Lycan that could only be born when a Male Alpha-Luna mates with another Male-Alpha."

He smirked. "So, it's one of a kind just like their father, eh? I never heard of one..."

"You wouldn't. Only Lycans who had chosen to retire to the 'deep' would know about them."

"Lycans aren't immortals."

"Neither of us are. But you can choose to cultivate your long lives by going into seclusion and avoiding conflict. It would extend your life span to over a million years making your kind almost immortal."

"Almost," Vinzer sighed. Yes, he heard of this myth from his tutors and read about it from historical books. There were even manuscripts that authenticated their existence. "You're referring to the Supremas. According to legends, only those who heard the ancestral's howl could become one. It's also impossible to find a Suprema unless you risk traveling the 'deep'. However, I am very curious about this Ultima. Is there another way for me to know what kind of cub am I to expect with my dearest mate?"

He wasn't just imagining things, the Grey Monk did give him a half-smile. "You are quite confident with your conviction."

Vinzer's face darkened. "This isn't a competition, he is my LUNA. He would go into heat like any other bitch and he would seek my companionship."

"Perhaps. But you are forgetting, dear Alpha, that your mate isn't like any other Luna. He is a Male Alpha Luna and his kind prefers a struggle before mating. He would fight you until his last breath..."

"That's ridiculous, why would I kill my mate? What advantage would that give me?"

"You wouldn't know. This is why no Ultima has ever been born. Some old scriptures stated that either both Alpha parents ended up destroying each other or the cub was hunted down to be destroyed. These were only based on our own ancestral wisdom. It is better to seek a Suprema if you would like to learn more about your coming brood. Do not rely on the prophecy when it comes to your luck..."