Happy new years!

"Hey," he greeted with a half-smile, a subtle nod to the revelry around us. "Enjoying the party?"

I nodded, my own smile mirroring his. "Yeah, it's quite the celebration. How about you?"

Michael chuckled, a mysterious glint in his eyes. "I'm not much of a party person, but tonight's an exception."

As the conversation flowed, our words became a dance, punctuated by shared laughter and the occasional hushed aside. The music provided a backdrop, its rhythm guiding our interaction. We discovered common interests, seamlessly transitioning from strangers to companions.

With each passing minute, the countdown to midnight drew closer. The energy in the room heightened, and Michael and I found ourselves gravitating toward each other. Amid the cacophony of voices, he leaned in, his words a whisper against the festive symphony.

"Ever make a New Year's resolution?" he inquired, his gaze holding mine.

I considered for a moment before responding, "Not really, but maybe this year will be different."

His lips curled into a wry smile. "Change can be a good thing."

As the clock struck midnight, the room erupted into cheers and applause. In that fleeting moment, Michael's hand found mine, and the world seemed to pause. Our eyes met, and without a word, the unspoken connection between us deepened. The countdown, the cheers, the confetti—it all faded into the background.

Then, in the stillness that followed the celebration, Michael leaned in, and our lips met in a tender New Year's kiss. It was a promise, an unspoken agreement that this moment marked the beginning of something new.

As the night unfolded, we shared more stories, dreams, and aspirations. The barriers that often separate strangers crumbled away, leaving behind a sense of understanding and connection. The party continued around us, but in that shared space, it felt like only the two of us existed.

In the early hours of the new year, we found ourselves standing on the threshold of possibilities. With a reluctant smile, Michael said, "I should get going. But maybe we'll run into each other again."

As he disappeared into the sea of people, I couldn't shake the feeling that this encounter was more than just a chance meeting. It was a chapter in a story waiting to be written—one that held the promise of new beginnings and the allure of the unknown.

(Book ends this January)