A Pointless Endeavor

Sirus froze in place. He couldn't comprehend at first what he had just heard. The bracelet felt warm in his hand where he was holding it. His heart beat in his chest, strangely calm.

     He took his first step forward into the center of the room. He had to do this. He had to win, for everyone who had been hurt during this endeavor.

     The second step was a little easier than his first. His hands steadied and he raise the bracelet up with one hand. From what he gathered, the bracelet allowed you to access magic easily. He just didn't know in what form his would manifest. He knew this put him at a disadvantage.

     Regardless, his hand slowly slide the bracelet around his wrist. He braced himself, his steps now bring Sirus into the center of the room. Time felt slow as the bracelet slide over his hand and fit itself snugly around his wrist. 

     A rush of energy filled Sirus's body. It made him feel more alive than he had ever felt in his life, and he could feel! He could feel what the lady in the center of the room was about to do. He could feel how she, and the rest of the people around him, were feeling. It was almost as though the very air around him was whispering the secrets of time to his body.

     So this must be his easiest ability. It made a weird amount of sense to him.

     He side stepped to the right just as the woman rushed to the spot he had just been. She stumbled a bit, caught off guard by the lack of him to catch her.

     She turned towards him, laughing, "Well let's do this then." 

     But he knew that she would try to use the ground to capture his legs in place. Sirus wasn't about to let that happen. He wanted to win. Control of this situation might be the only control he would get here. He jumped.

     The floor snapped up underneath him, surrounding where his legs just were. Gravity of course did it's thing and brought him back down, landing a little hard on top of the risen tile. Sirus let out a short grunt, toppling back onto his ass.

     The woman ran towards him. Sirus couldn't see her, but his new enhanced feeling told him where she would be. He laid back and rolled. 

     He saw her next right in front of him, and he leaned forward to try and grab her arm. She was prepared however, and dodged his attempt. 

      Sirus wasn't at all prepared for what happened next. The lady must have given up on her speed strategy. She had realized it wouldn't work with whatever Sirus's abilities were. Instead she had decided to invade his mind.

     The students around Sirus starting morphing. They were pointing and laughing at him, calling him all sorts of insulting things. The door to the room slowly creaked opening on its own, and the hallway had changed. Where what used to be the school building now seemed like a portal to hell. The lights flickered overhead.

     He looked back to where the woman was supposed to be, he saw nothing. Shit, he thought, she's gone.

     Sirus stood back up and looked around, disoriented. A blood curdling laugh sounded out from all around him. 

     "Sirusss," The laughing voice said, "It's over."

     An urge to duck sounded from deep within him, screaming with urgency. He followed it without thinking, responding to his body's warning. Air whistled above his head, and he realized just why exactly he had to duck.

      His hand rose to his throat. He breathed a deep sigh of relief and closed his eyes, trying to feel where the woman was. A layout of the room appeared in his minds eyes, and he could see her right in front of his.