Chapter 2- Radio Hitchiker

"Hi," said the blonde boy in front of you, holding out a hand. "I'm Neito Monoma. And who might you be?"

"Nikki Yamada," you grinned brightly as you crushed his hand

"Nikki Yamada," you grinned brightly as you crushed his hand. He howled, keeling over.

"You have quite the grip," he shook his hand out delicately. "Is that your quirk?"

"No." You sighed, and gave him the blunt answer. "I'm quirkless."

He tilted his head, eyes unfocused as though confused.

"Don't be so shocked," you scoffed. "A lot of people are quirkless. I'm still the best at dodgeball."

"It's true," Tony told Neito, slinging an arm around your neck. Casual as it was, the gesture declared his friendship to you loud and clear. You could handle yourself just fine, but Tony had become a bit protective after a few kids in your class had started making fun of you for being quirkless.

"I'm not shocked at all," Monoma protested hurriedly. "It's just that-" he tilted his head again in concentration, but was distracted as the desk he was leaning a hand on suddenly started to wobble. He jerked his hand away, and it smashed upward into the ceiling, staying there as though it was where it belonged.

Neito Monoma's sea gray eyes turned to Tony in awe.

"What a quirk," he breathed.

Tony snapped his fingers and the desk fell back down, making Monoma jump aside.

"So," Tony smiled icily. "You really are one of those dummies who's obsessed with quirks after all."

"N-no!" Neito protested weakly. "I'm not!"

"You probably have a quirk, don't you?" Tony scoffed, not even waiting for Monoma to nod. "But no matter what your quirk is, you'll never be a match for Yamada."

Several classmates, watching the spectacle, nodded in agreement. You glanced around, embarrassed and flattered at the same time. You'd worked SO hard to think up strategies to excel even as a quirkless kid suffering from narcolepsy. You'd created a personalized study schedule that allowed you to memorize class topics so well that you could take exams in half the allotted time in case you fell asleep on your desk. And ever since your comeback, you'd been undefeated in dodgeball. The other kids had learned, by now, that you could be faking a sleeping episode. They no longer threw balls at you when you collapsed. That opened the door for a hundred other ideas. Not to mention your wicked aim...

Grades, dodgeball, and the attitude to go with it. It might not seem like much, but to five year olds, you were the underdog everyone aspired to be. A small group of your classmates had even formed a fan club for you. Everyone knew about it, except for you. The ones who made fun of you for being quirkless were mostly jealous.

"TONY!" The teacher barked. "IN YOUR SEAT! NOW!"

The teacher glowered a little as the boy obeyed. Tony had always been a good kid. A little mischievous, nothing worse. But lately, he'd been using his quirk to intimidate other students, like the new kid Neito Monoma. The teacher wasn't sure what had started his aggression and chalked it up to another question to discuss at parent teacher conference.