Dream 2 (Brent)

CW: Death

This definitely has holes in it because I write it like this instead of trying to write an actual multi-chapter fic because I have commitment issues. Lol.

"This" also refers to the fact that this does connect with Dream 1 but very loosely tbh.

"Your Majesty? Your Majesty?"

Brent lifts his head off the table in a daze, still half-asleep as a man dressed in a tunic sets down a cup of tea next to a stack of books while giving him a worried look. Brent stares dumbfounded at the outdated attire as the person bows and quickly walks out the door before Brent has a chance to ask any questions. Brent glances down at the book he had apparently been using as a pillow. Photos are sewn into the pages in neatly organized columns, and Brent traces his thumb over the pages gently. He stops as he peers more closely at the people in the photos, his eyes widening as he realizes who he's looking at.

His own brown eyes look back up at him, and Brent is rendered speechless as he begins to flip the pages of the photobook.

A photo of him riding a horse across an open field. Another one of him assumedly as a child climbing up a tree with a large smile etched into its face. A very blurry photo where it seemed he had been running away from a swarm of bees.

All of these memories preserved forever in these photos, yet Brent is sure he either had no recollection of them or had completely forgotten everything until he stared at the photobook and it all came rushing back into his brain. He grimaces as he turns to the next page and freezes as the smiles of his friends along with his own greet Brent.

Vernias, with a bright pink bow tied onto the back of his head, holds onto his scarf as he leans close into Nick as he gives a bright wide smile. Nick, his crown slightly crooked on the top of his head, has one arm wrapped around Vernias's shoulder and the other around Brent's. He's laughing, and Brent can't help but smile, as it's incredibly infectious due to its genuity. However, a sinking feeling that he vaguely can identify begins to stir in Brent's chest, and his smile wavers. He looks over at Eevee. With his top hat, mask, and cloak, he stands a little awkwardly next to Brent but grins mischievously and raises a peace sign. The tress at the entrance of the woods serve as a perfect backdrop, as the bright sunlight illuminates everyone.

"Your Majesty must still be missing his dear friends terribly," someone says and Brent turns around to face the person who had given him his cup of tea earlier. "I understand. The time and love you shared with them can never be erased, even if they're no longer here to testify for that."

"What do you mean, 'even if they're no longer here...' " Brent questions the person, standing up from his chair and narrowing his eyes. "Also, who are you?"

"I apologize if I struck a sore spot, Your Majesty," The servant quickly bows his head. "Just a mere servant." He leans over Brent's shoulder and points two fingers at the photo, one for Vernias and one for Nick. "Those two simultaneously vanished from our grounds one day. After conducting a kingdom wide search, you solemnly declared them dead."

"Declared them..." Brent's voice trails off as he slowly sits back down. "What about-"

"He has retreated back to his hideout," the servant interrupts as he frowns at Sophist in the photo. "He has once again started wreaking havoc around the towns in the area. We've tried our best efforts to stop him, but he's refusing to cooperate or back down."

Brent sits silently as he tries to wrack his brain to recover his memories a little faster. The feeling that had been bubbling in his chest earlier grows, and he unconsciously begins tapping his finger on the photobook.