Bab 4: So That Those Who Suffer (April 6, 781)

On growled, angry at the world, angry at the bad people in it, and angry at herself.

They had escaped from their elders that had tried to kill them, crossed the ocean to what should have been safer land, and had lived on the streets for months, but it seemed that they could never catch a break and, just a few days ago, On had caught the bad side of an angry alley cat.

Thankfully, the man in black that jumped the wall didn't land on them and make her injury worse after that skirmish, but because of the unsanitary environment of the slums and the cold rainstorm for the past few days, On had either caught an infection from the germs of the slum entering her wound or a fever from being drenched in the cold, or both.

And she was dying. On didn't want to die.

She didn't know whether her brother could live without her.

Her little brother, Hong, might have to live without her, alone, homeless, unable to make money or steal...

Tears wetted her eyes, but she refused to cry, just feeling angry at the Fog Cat Tribe elders who had killed their parents and made their lives miserable. Angry at the adults who wouldn't share to dirty orphans and passed carelessly by. Angry at the alley cat that hurt her and at the many people that shooed and even chased them away when they approached their stores, whether they be little kids or little cats.

Angry at the evil people in the world who could flourish and live without want in the world.

On glared at the man who had entered her sight, having come out of the fenced off area of the Man-Eating Tree.

"It's not fair." On murmured, feeling indignant at his immaculate state. She knew who he was and she heard that Cale Henituse, trash of the Count's family, had been beaten to near death just two days ago, and yet here he was, perfectly healthy with not even a single blemish or sign of fever on his body.

On knew that she shouldn't be glaring at someone known for his short tempers and angry outbursts, but she couldn't help but hate hate hate-

"Noona! Stop! What if he hurts us!" Hong whisper-shouted into her ear. On jolted out of her anger, panicking when she remembered Hong. Hong was near her. While On was okay with getting hurt from retaliation, so angry and hurt that she didn't care anymore, Hong was near her and she didn't want her brother to get hurt.

It was too late though and the red haired man with a scowl walked towards them. No-

Don't hurt her brother-

On hissed, pushing her brother behind her. The trash renown for destroying merchant wares and bar taverns and throwing wine bottles at people was now a couple meters away from them. On tensed, curling as she wondered if he was going to kick at them in anger like the people often would to tell them to scram.

Contrary to her thoughts however, the Count's son didn't. Instead, he stopped a safe distance away and raised his open palms up in a disarming manner.

There was still a nasty scowl on his face, but Cale said, "Calm down. I want nothing to do with you snot-nosed brats as well, but there's something I want to do and it'd be best to have you little punks with me."

On froze. "...What?"

"Are you kids hard of hearing as well? I said I have a job for you." A job? For them? He was going to offer them a job?

Money. Food. A way to live longer. No-

This was Cale. Trash. And who would want anything good to do with them? There had to be a catch.