Part thirteen

"AaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! AAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

Ochaco chuckled. "Y/n, please calm down. You're scaring me."

"I can't!" I bounced into the air again and again, buzzing from head to toe with nerves. "I'm so nervous I can't keep still or I will EXPLODE!"

"P-please don't explode, L/n-chan." Midoriya set a hand on my shoulder as I slowed my vertical leaps and bounds to smaller hops. 

"Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen you this energetic." Mina chipped in. I shrugged.

"Ironically, coffee and sugar don't make me hyper. But I'm high on adrenaline and anxiety right now, and I'm ready to kick some ass!"

As I said this, Iida burst through the door, calling, "Everyone, get ready! We're entering the arena soon!"

Immediately, it felt as if someone had pulled the drain in my bathtub of confidence, I stopped bouncing as I felt the weight of anxiety settle further in my stomach.

Was that a weird simile? Eh, whatever.

I watched as Mineta pretended to ball up his fear and shove it in his mouth- an interesting strategy, I'll have to try it sometime- when approaching footsteps caught my attention. Midoriya looked up as Shoto stared down at him.

Damn, there is some height difference there. I pulled Bagheera out of my inventory, hugging her as I watched. 

"Hey, Todoroki," Midoriya said, voice timid, "what's up?"

Shoto locked eyes with him, getting right to the point. "From a competitive standpoint, I think it's fair to say that I'm stronger than you."

Midoriya wilted. "Yeah?"

I frowned. What was Shoto playing at? He continued, "However, you've got All Might in your corner helping you out. I'm not here to pry about what's happening between you two... but know that I will beat you."

"Shoto, what's going on? Why are you acting weird?" I put Bagheera away as I shifted protectively in front of Midoriya. Kirishima stood up as well.

"Yeah, why are you picking a fight all of a sudden? And right before we get started-"

Shoto smacked Kirishima's arm away as it came to rest on his shoulder. "We're not here to be each other's friends."

He turned, walking away. "Don't forget. This isn't a team effort."

"E-Excuse me!?

I was about to follow him when Midoriya spoke up. 

"Todoroki. I don't know what's going through your head, or why you think you'd need to tell me that you'll beat me. And yeah, of course you're better than me. In fact, you probably have more potential than anyone in the hero course. That's why you got in so easily." 

"Midoriya, aren't you being a little-"

His voice didn't shake or waiver as he continued, "No, he's right. All the other courses, they're coming for us with everything they've got."

He looked up. "And I'll be aiming for the top too."

Silence flooded the room, save for a single word. "Fine."

He left, leaving the room dead silent.

Until I slammed my hand down on the table, making the room collectively jump.

"I'm going after him."

"Y/n, I don't think that's the best idea." Ochaco grabbed my hand. I was fuming. Why was I so mad? I couldn't tell you. I was furious. Maybe it was because I was mad that Shoto targeted Midoriya like that. Maybe I was upset because I knew that there was something making him do this. Something that I knew a thing or two about. But before I could go after him, a notification came over the room screens.