TWENTY-TWO

IF THE CAPITOL WANTED A SHOW, THEY HAD GOTTEN IT. Tributes were hunting each other more viciously than ever, which viewers found extremely entertaining. People were also dying from the muttations being dropped into the arena. In previous Games, there was little to no intervention from forces within the Capitol, tributes would just battle it out until there was only one survivor, but this time it was far different. Crates were constantly being dropped into the arena, with strange creatures exuding from them, intent on killing. It was like the snakes from last time, but far more of them.

Aria was beginning to think that the toad she touched when The Games first began wasn't as harmless as Coriolanus said it was. She found it increasingly more difficult with each passing second to stay on her feet.

"You good, girl?" Missy asked, noticing how Aria was wobbling.

"Can we sit down for like, five minutes?" Aria said.

"Oh, man up!" Arlo exclaimed. "We can't stop for a break every damn second!"

"Watch how you talk to me," Aria retorted, trying to stand her ground, but she was too dizzy to do anything else.

"There's something wrong with her," Raphael said. "I'll sit with her for a while, you go and hunt."

Arlo scoffed, muttering something under his breath as he walked off with Missy. Aria couldn't help but think how Coriolanus wouldn't have allowed someone to speak to her like that. Arlo would've been shoved up against the wall by now.

"I think a toad poisoned me," Aria said.

"A toad?" Raphael shuddered. Clearly, he didn't like toads any more than Aria did.

"Yeah, it was all gross and slimy, and I think it tried to kill me," Aria sighed.

"What, so you won The Hunger Games, but now the cause of your death is gonna be from a toad?" Raphael scoffed.

"Guess so," Aria laughed.

"Nah, just wait it out. I'm sure the effects will wear off soon," Raphael told her.

This wasn't the case. Aria had just gotten worse and worse, even beginning to hallucinate. Her vision was blurry, and she could barely speak anymore. Raphael ran off to get Arlo and Missy, but when he left, she saw Coriolanus emerge out from the corner of her eye. She believed this to be a hallucination, but she didn't care. She was just happy to see him. She hadn't forgiven him for abandoning her in the arena, but nevertheless, she was happy to see him.

"Coryo," she smiled drowsily as he knelt down beside her.

"Aria, drink this," Coryo held out a makeshift flask, containing water. Aria happily obliged, gulping down the liquid. 

"Go to sleep, now. Don't worry, I'll be right here watching you," Coriolanus told her.

"I love you," Aria said, tears threatening to fall down her face.

The hallucination of Coriolanus had a pained look on his face, before he spoke. "I love you too, Aria." He cupped her cheek with his hand, grazing his thumb along her skin. "I'm sorry."

"If you love me, why did you leave?" Aria asked, letting her tears flow.

"I left because I love you. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do," Coriolanus answered honestly.

"Come back to me then, Coriolanus. It doesn't have to be like this," Aria's voice broke.

"Please don't cry. Please, I'm sorry," Coriolanus pulled Aria into his chest, letting her cry into his ripped shirt. Her tears were from a mixture of betrayal, drowsiness and anxiety. She still didn't understand why Coriolanus had to leave her. Surely, if he loved her like he said he did, he'd want to stay by her side at all times.