𝔦𝔫𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔡𝔲𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫

HOW DOES EVERY GOOD STORY START?

With once upon a time? With a 'long long time ago'? With a 'In a place far away'? None of those, Anastasia thinks. She believes that a good story starts with an interesting start; a line that hooks the reader and reels them in.

And she was perfect for it, her with her terrible back story— albeit it was a bit boring, unoriginal. It was tragedy; a faith she couldn't control, blood on the carriage doors, and a child, barely eight, standing across two coffins.

The blood from the carriage then seeped from her hands. Marking her so deeply that no matter how many times she scrubbed, she cannot remove it. Even if she drew blood and made it slowly run down her skin to her hands, the blood on them could never be replaced or covered because the weight of it all was held by her tightly, fingers tightly intertwined with the skeletons.

Death reeked at the cusps of her hands, destruction only a mere inch away from the tips of her fingers.

However, Anastasia still believes her story is a good one. Why? Because she, a girl who was nothing, suddenly became everything; a hero.

A girl in stasis; unmoving and idle, forced into motion— that itself is an interesting synopsis, isn't it?

However, her story wasn't how she waited. It wasn't about how she watched as strangers around her become family. It wasn't about how she had to watch a demi-god incarnate bleed ichor all over the ground as he walked again despite his wounds.

Once more, he says, and I shall rest.

( Spoiler: he does not rest. )

No, instead, her story was a tale of a girl, who had to be forged through fire, who had to be molded by dangers, forced to fight once more, pushed to be more stronger, so they can prevail; once more, into the light, and carry the weight of the world on her shoulder.

Her story was a tale of tragedy, a varnish of lost youth and the reminiscent of lost childhood.

Yet love prevails, despite it all. Because love is never, ever wrong.

Perhaps, Anastasia should've just believed that every good story started with Once Upon A Time.

i. danse macabre — saint-saëns
ii. sarasate : zigeunerweisen — pablo de sarasate
iii. liebesleid — fritz keizler
iv. waltz in a-flat major, op 69 — frédéric chopin
v. nocturne no. 2 — frédéric chopin

DANSE MACABRE —DEATH SHALL NOT DO US APART

DANSE MACABRE
—DEATH SHALL NOT DO US APART