A Sinner's Finale, With A Glint Of Defamation (2/3)

The door swung open to the Chief Justice's office. Appearing in front of him was Furina, or rather Focalors.

He looked up from his documents with an exhausted, yet curious expression. Focalors took note of this, assuming it was another report of the water-level rising. Yet, her face remained calm, as though she had discovered a solution to the prophecy— which she indeed had.

Neuvillette cleared his throat. "What brings you here, Lady Furina? If the Knave is still bothering you, then—"

"I've found the solution to the prophecy." Focalors smiled, bobbing her head to the side.

The Dragon's eyes widened, struggling to form a response.

"W-well," he began. "Then please tell us, Lady Furina."

The Hydro Archon walked to the window, ignoring his question as she viewed the city she had long abandoned. A sense of longing and regret filled her heart as she stared down. A drop of tear rolled down her very eyes.

"Ah, Fontaine is far different from how I remembered it." She said in a soft voice, touching the blue stained-glass windows.

"Lady Furina, are you—" a realization struck Neuvillette. "You're not Furina.."

Focalors chuckled, turning back to the Dragon. "I am far from the person Furina is. Or in this case, being."

His brows furrowed.

"Who are you, and what have you done to Furina?!" He raised his voice.

The Hydro Archon took a seat, finally explaining her situation to Neuvillette, and most importantly, her plan to save Fontaine.

"Hiding in the oratrice for hundreds of years is not an easy job, you know?." She joked, crossing her legs.

Neuvillette looked down at his table, processing everything Focalors told him.

After a few minutes, he finally asked, "What happened to Furina?"

"Hm, are you showing concern for her?"

"Please answer my question."

"Furina is.." She tapped her chin, thinking of a response. "..Has been put to rest."

"Is she—"

"Don't worry, she's not dead. I preserved her consciousness somewhere safe."

He sighed of relief, though his focus immediately returned to the key point: the solution to the prophecy.

"So," he met eyes with Focalors. "How do we solve this prophecy?"

She didn't answer.

Not verbally at least.

She slowly lifted her hands up, pointing her finger at the Hydro Dragon.

"You."

"Me?" Neuvillette questioned, twisting his mouth. He attempted to make sense of the answer she gave him, though to no avail. Focalors noticed his bewildered look and finally gave him the answer.

"In order to save the people of Fontaine, you must sacrifice yourself and renounce your position as the Hydro Sovereign and transferring the powers to me. Though the choice is yours to make, do you want to save the people?"

Neuvillette froze, intensely staring at her. His mind was unable to wrap around the concept of death, for he is a dragon after all. Though, a part of him had already made the decision— the decision to uphold the highest standards of justice by protecting the people of Fontaine at all costs.

As he was about to tell Focalors his answer, his surroundings changed. Suddenly, he was on the Opera Stage, the place where all verdicts were served.

A shadow was cast upon Neuvillette above his head. When he raised his head, he realized it was an execution device, a tool that would determine his destiny.

"So?" The Hydro Archon asked. "Have you made the decision yet?"

A slight grin appeared across her face, as though she had already known his answer.

"I.." The Ludex cleared his throat. "I, Ludex Neuvillette, hereby declare the people of Fontaine to be innocent. In return, I will renounce my title as the Hydro Sovereign, transferring my powers to Focalors."

Her eyes twinkled with joy, even though she had expected his response. Still, a sense of regret filled her heart the moment she heard his answer. Focalors grabbed onto his hand, gently caressing it as the final curtains fell.

"Thank you, Neuvillette."

The warmth of his palm soon dissolved into water as the device struck his head. The Hydro Archon took a few steps back, bowing to Neuvillette's deceased body, or rather, substance.

"Hydro Dragon, Hydro Dragon, don't cry." She hummed, fixing her gaze at his scattered remains in the air.