Chapter 4

Harry stood alone in his new room for several minutes after Severus left simply taking it all in. Just yesterday, he was living with the Dursleys, trying to do homework by flashlight and living off the scraps that they left at the table for him to clean up. Now, he stood in a bedroom that was supposedly his, inside the living quarters of his most hated teacher at Hogwarts. At this point, he wasn't sure which was better.

Dumbledore has finally lost it, he thought. He's cracked! Doesn't he know what's going to happen to him now?

Granted, Harry didn't know himself what was going to happen, but that was part of the problem. At least with the Dursleys, he knew what to expect. He had gotten better over the years at judging Uncle Vernon's moods and learning to stay out of arm's reach. To stay quiet and not get in anyone's way. And on the occasions that he couldn't help it, well, he got better at covering it up. He reached a hand up and gingerly touched the left side of his face and winced.

Snape was new territory, though. Sure he'd seen him angry before, but that was just as a teacher. Now it was so much worse. Now Snape had Harry exactly where he wanted him, Harry didn't know how far the man could be pushed before he took his anger out on him. One thing was for sure, though, he would have to find out. Harry glanced over at his truck filled with his few possessions. Later, he decided quickly, he would find out later. He was supposed to be changing, which sounded dumb to Harry. Why would he need to change clothes just for lunch?

Harry opened his trunk and started rummaging around, tossing old pieces of parchment, books, and the rest of his school things aside as he searched for his school uniform, thinking all the while that he shouldn't be made to wear it during the holidays. Just because Snape insisted on looking like an overgrown bat year-round didn't mean Harry should have to.

***

"Jenka," Snape said into the air as he came back into the parlor. A moment later a small house-elf, wearing a neat tea towel popped into the room.

"Yes, Master Snape?" The little elf bowed low before she stood back up and looked expectantly at Snape.

"Jenka, would you please have lunch on the table in about fifteen minutes? Remember, Harry Potter is my ward now so he will also need to eat."

Jenka's large, blue eyes widened as she exclaimed, "Of course, Master Snape! Jenka be's making all of Master Harry Potter's favorites, sir! Jenka sees the young master in the Great Hall with the other students, sir, and Jenka is knowing what he loves to eat, sir!"

Snape shook his head. "Thank you, Jenka, but that won't be necessary. Whatever you have will do, and Potter will take it or leave it."

Jenka crossed her arms over her tiny chest and if possible, sent a stern look up to the man towering above her. "Jenka always has been giving Master Snape his favorites on the bad days and Jenka is giving Master Harry, chicken sandwiches and pumpkin juice today, sir."

Snape scowled but gave a short nod of his head before replying, "And a vegetable."

Jenka smiled and vanished.

Snape rolled his eyes and sat back down in his armchair to wait on Harry. All things considered, he thought that their conversation had gone as well as could be expected. He had known all along that this wasn't going to be all sunshine and daisies, but all he had to do was keep the boy safe until the start of term. Granted, Potter wasn't going to make it easy, especially if he found out about Black, but he was Severus Snape for Merlin's sake! He could handle one thirteen-year-old wizard for the summer. Even if said wizard was Harry Potter.

Snape was pulled from his thoughts as Harry walked back into the parlor. He raised an eyebrow at the boy's choice of clothing but said nothing as he led the way across the room through a swinging door that led to the kitchen. As soon as they sat down at the circular, wooden table in the small kitchen, their food appeared before them. Snape noticed that true to her word, Jenka had given Harry chicken sandwiches, raw carrots, and pumpkin juice. He also noticed how Harry smiled slightly down at the meal. In Snape's own plate sat shepherds pie and a small salad. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes at Jenka making sure to give him his own favorite as well. Honestly, it wasn't as if he was a child that she needed to appease in order to keep happy.