Ch. 27

Simon would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy seeing the children of Ataraxia sprinting across the islands as he and Nightwing flew over Ataraxia. They ran along the paths below as the dragon flew over the town, staring up as they chased him and making Simon concerned for their safety around the edges of the floating islands. But they clearly knew their way around their own town, judging by the lack of sudden screaming. He could see a few parents pulling the youngest kids back as Nightwing came in to land outside the forge, leaving a clear space for the dragon to touch down.

Nightwing had clearly enjoyed the attention last time. The minute the dragon's claws hit the ground he reached out his head, nudging the nearest child with an inquisitive growl. The child, a green-striped Ardoni, squealed in happiness and ran her hands over Nightwing's horns. Simon climbed down from the dragon's back and Nightwing lowered himself to the ground, resting his chin on the grass and staring up at the children like an oversized dog.

Simon rubbed the dragon's neck. "Have fun. Don't let the attention go to your head."

Nightwing stuck out his tongue at Simon, then turned and licked another nearby kid. The kid giggled and Simon turned away in amusement, walking into the forge. He hit the stone wall with the side of his fist, the faint smacking having nothing on the volume of knocking on an actual wooden door.

"Hello?" Simon called. What was the title of respect the Ardoni used? "Ky-Galleous?"

He heard someone talking from inside the cave, and then the blacksmith appeared.

"Welcome back to Ataraxia," The blue Ardoni said. (Sendaris, Simon recalled, that was the name of the clan. And the Ardoni used their clan names as last names, rather than having a family name. So it was fine to call Ardoni by their first name even if you didn't know them well, because the clan name would be too unspecific.)

Simon shook Galleous's hand, his mind snapping away from the lesson on Ardoni formalities as the smith went on. "Your armor's ready for you. I'm sure you'll find it satisfactory."

Galleous led Simon into the forge, around the bend in the cave to his workplace. There was a second Ardoni there, Simon realized, one he hadn't met the last time. His stripes were a surprising red-orange shade, a color Simon hadn't seen before. Had he forgotten about a clan?

The red-striped Ardoni looked up from where he was cleaning an iron gauntlet as Simon entered, and set the piece aside, walking over to greet him.

"I take it you're the new enderknight I've heard about," the Ardoni greeted, shaking Simon's hand.

"I am," Simon confirmed. He hadn't seen this Ardoni the last time he was here, maybe Galleous had hired an apprentice since then.

"This is Ingressus Voltaris," Galleous said. "You two missed getting to meet each other when you were here last. Ingressus, this is Sir Simon."

Voltaris. That was it. Simon filed the name away. He was almost certain he'd never heard it before, but now he could avoid the awkward moment of having to admit ignorance.

"It's nice to meet you, Ingressus," Simon said, and the Ardoni gave a respectful nod in return. He seemed to somehow... relax at Simon's words, as though learning he had passed some sort of test. Authority-figure awkwardness, maybe? At least there wasn't any of the fawning that he'd gotten that one time in the Hydraphel district. That had been uncomfortable. Cassius had said he would get used to it, but Simon couldn't quite believe that yet.

"Your armor is right over here," Galleous said, beckoning Simon after him. There was an armor stand at one wall, on which was hanging a set of night-black armor gleaming in the light. Simon could see the blue glow of Galleous's stripes reflected in the glossy surface, mirrored on the opposite side by the orange of the lava basin.