Chapter 2: Fumble at the door

Y/N rushed up the stairs at Hogwarts. However many there were, 246, he didnt get tired as he rushed to Dumbledore's office. As he got to the top step, a gargoyle stood before the door to his office with its arms crossed and spear in hand.

Gargoyle: Password?

Y/N: Apple Cherry Caramel Sweets.

As the gargoyle let him past, Y/N contemplated the ethics of consuming chocolate frogs. Although he never had them, he wondered if they were alive. Do the jinxes make the frogs sentient? So many questions but before he could answer them he was in Dumbledore's office talking to the great wizard himself.

Dumbledore: Ah, Y/N. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Y/N: Well firstly, yknow how you have the chocolate frog card now? Do you know-

Dumbledore: No, Y/N, I'm unsure of if the chocolate frogs are alive or not, like you have asked me many other times. But, I am sure you came to me for a different reason.

Y/N: Oh yeah! Ummm. Oh, I remember! It's Mr Potter! He was at the muggle zoo today and I saw him and talked to him and he was really shorter than I thought, I must say but oh yeah, he did magic!

Dumbledore chuckled slightly and motioned to a chair.

Dumbledore: Take a seat, Y/N.

Y/N held the seat up.

Y/N: This joke is so overused I'm not even gonna pretend it's funny or original.

Dumbledore: Yes, I imagine Harry would be unlocking his magical powers now, he is almost turning 11. I shall ask Professor McGonagall to send him a letter immediately. Speaking of letters, I believe this should be handed to you personally.

Dumbledore reached out a hand and in it was a neatly folded piece of paper with stamped wax to cover the fold with the Hogwarts crest on it. He slid a finger through the fold and ripped through the wax, opening it to show a very long letter that I totally didnt take off Wikipedia.

Dear Mr Scamander,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.
Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)
by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic
by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory
by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration
by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions
by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales
Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl OR a cat OR a toad.
PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS
ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK

However, something was different about this letter. As Y/N read down the letter, he found the line "Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl OR a cat OR a toad" to be crossed out. At first, Y/N's face immediately fell. Had his past finally caught up to him and he was restricted from ever owning a pet again? As he began to imagine his life without his best friends, he read down the letter and saw what seemed to be an added and exclusive section that read:

In light of your heritage, the Hogwarts Headmaster has permitted the allowance to bring magical creatures not listed above. If said creatures are unable to be controlled, this allowance shall be terminated.

Personally signed,
Professor Dumbledore
Headmaster of Hogwarts

Y/N could have squealed in excitement and looked at Dumbledore with stars in his eyes as he jumped on the spot.

Dumbledore: I hope you'll forgive the formality, I know that it isn't your strong point but when it comes to school work I'm afraid it is needed. Now, I know you're father has been taking you to Diagon Alley to gather your equipment, ready for your acceptance but that wand he specially commissioned for you should be ready now so I expect you might want to go and collect it. I'm sure Mr Ollivander is keen on seeing it work. Now, I have some other matters to attend you so I shall be seeing you off now. Good day, Mr Scamander and enjoy your summer.

Y/N nodded and scratched Fawkes, the professor's phoenix, under his chin as he chirped loudly. As he made his way out the door he rushed down the steps, sliding past ghosts, poltergeists and other spooks. As he got out of the castle, he reached into his briefcase and grabbed onto something wet and slimy. He slowly pulled it out, feeling the tug at the other end. As he pulled his hand out, he lay the seaweed onto the ground and out of the briefcase trotted Seapea.

She snorted loudly and waved her mane, lowering her head and eating the seaweed as
Y/N climbed onto her back. He strokes her mane delicately and waited for her to finish eating.

Y/N: Seapea, can you take me to Diagon Alley please?

She snorted again and reared on her hind legs and galloped across the moat and hills at an incredible speed. In just less than an hour, they had arrived at Diagon Alley. Y/N thanked her and she retreated back into the briefcase. He found Ollivander's in no time and quickly entered, ready to receive his wand.

The old wand shop had a very antique feeling surrounding it, most likely due to the fact that it was founded before the birth of jesus but that may just be coincidence. As he entered the door, a bell above him rang and Mr Ollivander, who was sat at the desk in deep concentration, raised his head and almost got giddy for a moment before composing himself.

Ollivander: Now, Y/N. What I am about to bestow upon you is something no wizard nor witch has ever attempted before. I hope the past three years in designing this has not gone to waste.

Y/N slowly nodded. He knew how badly he needed this to work and that if Mr Ollivander couldn't do it, then nobody could. From a shelf, Mr Ollivander produced a long rectangular black box. It stood out among the colours of green and red that lined the shelves beside it. As he opened the box with the care you would give a newborn baby, Y/N slowly took the wand from its case and held it firmly in his hand.

Mr Ollivander: 10 and a quarter inches, steel wire heart. Your connection with it, in theory, should work. It only depends on if my practice has succeeded. Please, attempt a spell.

The room was tense as Y/N admired his wand. He felt a small tingle, like an electric shock come from his finger and into the wand. He gripped it gently and pointed it towards a book. With a swish he moved the wand and-

-a pulse of energy came from the wand, knocking the book off the deck. He smiled a wide grin and looked to Mr Ollivander who made the same face. He contemplated dancing around the room but to avoid embarrassment he decided to- fuck it, he danced anyway and Mr Ollivander joined in aswell.

Mr Ollivander: It worked! It actually worked! This, my boy, is going to hold great things for the future! But I believe you should perhaps be off? Your parents must be expecting you home by now and you must get a good nights sleep before your first day of Hogwarts.

Y/N looked at his wrist, he didn't have a watch but he pretended he did anyway.

Y/N: Yup! It's only just turned wrist o'clock so I really should be getting home now. Thank you so much Mr Ollivander! I'm sure we'll meet again soon.

And like that, he rushed back home excitedly, ready to start his next day at Hogwarts in the morning.