Chapter 50: Torn in Between

Nicko Ferragni

Nicko Ferragni

"Nick, wake up!"

Someone was shaking my shoulder therefore I woke up from my sleep. I opened my tired eyes to see who woke me up. It was my mom.

"Mom?" I groggily said.

I had sleepless nights for weeks. My body was tired and my mind was exhausted. It had been rough for the last two months. All happenings took a huge toll on me. I still wondered what I hadn't gotten sick from so much stress, lack of sleep and poor appetite for couple of months now.

"Your Dad wants to talk to you."

I was shocked. My senses were immediately turned on upon hearing those words. I was fully awake now. Dad wasn't talking to me since he woke up a week ago. He was confined in the ICU after another heart attack. I was the reason again why that happened to him. His heart couldn't handle the bad news I brought up to him.

I felt so awful for weeks. I wouldn't forgive myself if Dad didn't make it. I was so grateful that he made it alive again. I was so happy when he woke up last week. And since then, he wasn't talking to me. As his child, I felt like I failed him. He was so mad when I told him the truth that I initiated an annulment. He was so disappointed that I didn't do anything to help Kate's business right away. On top of that, his anger aroused even more when I told him that Kate was pregnant and missing. He couldn't take all the information that he had a heart attack.

That was why I couldn't sleep well these last two months. My guilt was eating me up. I blamed myself for what happened to my Dad. Even though I had to find my wife, I could not manage to leave my Dad. I was so devastated and torn in between my two loved ones. I couldn't choose between them. I loved them both. But I stayed here in Italy because I wanted to be with my Dad in case something worse happens to him. I didn't leave his side until he woke up.

I couldn't imagine what I had to go through. It was too painful. I had a father, who might be close to his death bed, and I had a wife I needed to find. This was the worst feeling I had ever experienced in my life. I was so broken. But by grace, I was able to fight to not give up even though I was so weak to do so.

"He does?" I couldn't believe it.

My Mom nodded. "Yes."

I stood up from the couch that was outside my Dad's hospital room. He was transferred from ICU to the Acute Medical Unit couple of days ago. The downgrade meant that he was having a progress in his condition.

My Mom held my face. She looked at me with full of love and sympathy.

"You lost some weight and there's black circles around your eyes, which means you haven't been sleeping well. Your hair is also messy. You haven't taken care of yourself lately. I hate seeing you like this, son."

"You know why, Mom."

She gave me a sad smile. "Yes, I know, and I feel so sorry for you, anak. As your mother, I am hurting for you."