Chapter 3

"Frida, dear, I need you to fix also this one".

Frida looked up from the table to her left "Oh, okay".

"I know I'm known for my calmness, but this lady is really testing my patience...".

Frida snickered "It's not a problem".

"Thank you, my dear" Audette said to her, patting her shoulder before walking away to the other side of the workshop where the sewing machines were.

Frida sighed and looked at the watch on her wrist, 1 hour and 45 more minutes and that exhausting shift at work would be over. In those days she had less and less patience to be at work and much desire for the warmth of her home.

She returned her focus to the black pants she was mending when she jumped slightly when saw a travel mug in front of her. She glanced up, confused, and parted her lips in surprise "And what are you doing here?".

Benny smiled at her, placing himself beside her work table "I come in peace, bringing a present" he winked at her.

"How... How do you know where I work?" Frida asked, but a rebellious smile formed on her lips as she placed the pants, needle and thread on the chair next to her and she brought his wonderfully hot cup closer to her, immediately taking a long sip. She internally moaned as the taste of white chocolate sent her tongue into raptures.

"Well... I've my informants" Benny replied, pulling up a chair nearby and sitting next to her.

Frida chuckled "Yeah, busybody. Next time try not to bribe my son, please" and she touched his knee with her own "How did you get in? And what are you doing here, stranger?".

Benny smiled "Okay, well... I was just walking by one of my favorite café and I thought of what you told me a few days ago about your love for any kind of chocolate and I wanted to bring you something" he showed her his mug and a little white paper bag "I got you also a croissant. And, about how I came in: I knocked, I asked for you and they told me to come here" he said simply.

"Benny, you didn't ha---".

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Anyway, I've also come to ask you something".

"Oh, Okay. Tell me" Frida turned towards him, curious.

"Well..." he started hesitantly, playing with his mug "I still have to finish buying the last things for Christmas and... I wanted to go tomorrow and..." he sighed "I mean, you don't work on Friday, right? So, I was wondering If... you wanted to go with me?".

Frida smiled and took another sip of her chocolate while she considered his idea.

"I mean... You could help me finding something for Heléne, you know... What do you think?" he asked, looking at her expectantly.

"Well... Sure it would be useful for me too, I also have to buy the last things for the children, my cousin and...".

"See? Perfect!" he grinned, taking a long sip of his cup.

Frida rolled her eyes and snatched her croissant, intoxicated by its fresh scent "Okay, I'll go with you" and she took some napkins to take the pastry and divide it in two, passing half of it to him.

He took it with a big smile and immediately took a bite.

"What time would you like to go?" her eyes remained fixed on him as some of the chocolate from the croissant slipped onto his hand and he licked it off as If it were the most natural thing in the world.

"Hmm... I don't know. Nine? Ten? I can pick you up and have breakfast together... Or we can meet somewhere and have breakfast together".

"I see that you really want to have breakfast together that day" she chuckled "Okay for 9" she said, taking another bite of her tasty piece of croissant.