Part 01

##

Jung Hoseok's smile is like a ray of sunshine - warm on cool mornings, radiant on sunny afternoons. It's light and infectious, but more than anything, it's genuine. There's comfort in the way his entire face beams and how the rest of his body follows; there's this sense of openness that makes it easy to be around him, that makes it easy to work for him.

It was 10 years ago when you first encountered that smile - bright and encouraging as he welcomed you and the rest of the interns to his family's company. It slowly dissolved the anxiety you were feeling over being 1 of 12 chosen students to work for one of the leading real estate and property development corporations in the country. You'd see it again two years later as an employee, and you recall how he perked up at the sight of you, having remembered those eight weeks you spent preparing the conference room for their meetings and serving the executives their coffee.

You wouldn't have expected that five years after that, you'd be seeing that smile everyday as his executive assistant, and it was one of the things that made the job bearable. Despite the long hours and the amount of work you had to do and events you had to accompany him to, working for Hoseok always felt worth it. Despite the insane amount of pressure he was put under and the stress he had to endure, Hoseok somehow always managed to smile.

He was serious when he had to be, but there was joy in how he did things. He allowed himself moments of calm, of time to check in on his support team for a few laughs. He'd spare himself a few minutes a day to sway to the soft music he plays in his office, he'd preside over meetings with vigor, and he'd start and end every interaction with anyone with that smile - the same smile that assures you that all your hard work is appreciated and which encourages you to keep learning.

It's that same smile that he has on right now, as he hands you a custom-made cake with 'you worked hard' written on it. He says the words as your eyes turn to him in surprise.

"Thank you for all that you've done," Hoseok says. "I know you were new to the role just like I was but you made everything so easy for me. I'm gonna have to get used to being without your brilliance, Ms. Cho. I hope you never doubt yourself ever again."

Your astonished face turns into a pout, as it dawns on you that it's Friday, the first unofficial day of you no longer being Hoseok's executive assistant, given his appointment as President not long ago. Yet despite the big change he'll be experiencing starting next week, he's the one affirming and comforting you, something that's rare for someone of his stature and something you'll definitely miss.

"You know I don't cry, but I just might," you respond, earning you a chuckle. "But really, I... I can't thank you enough for taking a chance on me. I know my credentials weren't like the others but—"

"Ms. Cho," he interjects. "The only credentials those other applicants had were the universities they went to, but none of them matched your level of skill and dedication to the role. I can assure you that none of them would've managed the past three years like you did. I should be thanking you for dealing with all the craziness with me."

"You're a good boss, it's that simple," you return the compliment now. "You were patient with me and challenged me to be better without putting me down. That does a lot for a person's confidence, you know?"

"I know that now," he smiles again. "But really, I don't think I could've asked for a more competent right-hand woman. Jungkook's lucky he's taking my position with the most capable assistant to help him out."

At the mention of the man's name, your face sours, something that Hoseok picks up, earning you another laugh.

"Not a fan of him, I see," he eyes you curiously.