Part 59

**

You sit on your desk that Monday morning and try to act as if all your contrasting emotions aren't weighing heavily on you.

Being with your friends over the weekend helped, as you took the train to meet them this time and told them everything that's happened. You apologized for not telling them right away, but they knew that it was important for you to feel everything on your own first and try to figure it out. You said you really hadn't - deciding to leave seemed so simple but the feelings and the truth complicated them, and now you're left with a broken heart and the belief that Jungkook won't forgive you, that he won't want you anymore, that he'll just let you walk away without any closure.

Soomin and Jimin just held you and listened. They knew from the start it would be difficult. Your past wasn't something you talked about so easily, and it took you years to even tell them your story, how you ended up in Busan and why you had to return to Daegu because it was already safe for you to go back home. There was no judgment, only support, even when you decided to enter the company and work for the people that you felt you owed your life to.

Their resentment towards Jungkook stemmed from how he treated you at the beginning; they knew that yours was the same. But they never questioned your sincerity when it came to how you felt - you're never like this, they said. It takes a lot for you to let someone in and ties to his family isn't enough for that. If anything, that's what told them it was real - you would've tried hard to control the feelings but you still gave in, and for you to think he was worth that even for the briefest moment means he probably was.

Their perspective affirmed you in a way. This wasn't just some silly crush on your boss, but this also wasn't something you could just easily forget or get over. Your happiness always comes first, and it may look like a life with him in it, but it doesn't mean he gets to be part of it right now. It's also possible it's one without him, and if it is, then you're just going to have to learn to accept that.

You sigh to yourself. You're in no better place than you were last week, but at least you have less days left in being here. But then again, that also just means the closer you are to really saying goodbye.

You go through your checklist of things to turn over and do before you leave, and while you're halfway through, putting together event and project portfolios and documenting best practices still takes a lot of time.

You're about to begin your first task of the day when you hear rushed footsteps. Lucas scurries over to your side to leave his things then grabs some folders.

"Hey, is everything okay?" You ask the visibly stressed man next to you.

"Uh, yeah," he responds. "Mr. Jeon called for a meeting about the Arts Center and there are changes. He wants to add something."

"At this stage?" You ask worriedly.

"Yeah. It seems like it's quite a bit of work. I'm... I'm freaking out because this is a really big project and —I"

"Won't disappoint him, I'm sure of it," you try to comfort him. "You'll be fine, Lucas. Just take a breath and take it one step at a time. I'll be right here."

You smile at him warmly, hoping that the bit of encouragement would help. The opening is a few weeks from now. At this point, focus should just be on finishing touches, finalizing government certifications, and promotion, but with how Lucas seems a bit rattled, the changes might indeed be a bit overwhelming.

He excuses himself to prepare the conference room and get the team then leaves, and as you're about to follow him, Jungkook exits his office then stands by the hallway.

"Ms. Cho," he calls out, prompting you to stay in your place. "There is no need for you to attend the meetings about the Arts Center."

You're taken aback by his statement but you recover.