XXXVII. Kindred

"This is utterly unacceptable! We must send them back at once!"

Gregor had fallen asleep shortly after they had departed and there was a moment when he wondered if the voice was part of his dream, but upon opening his eyes and noticing the flickering of a torch before him, he understood it was real.

"Oh, you cannot endanger or at least delay the mission by another fourteen hours just to bring us back. It's not worthwhile."

Abruptly, Gregor's eyes shot open, and he discerned Luxa and Howard facing each other, with the torch lighting up the improvised grill that filled the room with a delightful aroma.

"I—" Howard clenched his fists and groaned. "This is . . . We must . . ."

"We must accept that she is right," said a different voice from behind him, and Gregor twitched when someone yanked him up under his arms. "Quit pretending that you are still asleep." The Death Rider hauled him over to Luxa and Howard before putting him back on his feet and patting his back so hard that he nearly toppled over. "For, we must accept that Luxa has indeed planned all of this excellently yet again," said the outcast. "We cannot afford to send them back, as there are not enough of us to escort them and both their fliers."

Gregor wondered if he had imagined that slight tinge of acknowledgment in the Death Rider's voice before his gaze met Ares and Aurora, who huddled together in a corner of the cave, their heads lowered as if in shame. Above them hung Thanatos; although his eyes were closed, his ears were peeked. He seemed almost as if he were guarding them.

Howard glared at both Gregor and Luxa. "Who said anything about their fliers? Take them back with you on Thanatos, meanwhile—"

"Meanwhile you're bound to get hopelessly lost with no guidance!" the outcast shot back.

Throughout the entire argument, Gregor remained silent and kept his eyes lowered. All he wanted was to be far away, either back in Regalia with his mom and Boots, or in New York with his dad and Lizzie. Was it Saturday already? Would he be at Mrs. Cormaci's place now if he wasn't stuck on this stupid rescue mission for someone he didn't even like?

"Gregor!"

His tightly shut eyes snapped open, staring into the Death Rider's strained face. "Gregor, you can take ease now and perhaps volunteer to take first watch, since you're so evidently well-rested."

Overcome with embarrassment, Gregor nodded hastily. Howard sat by the torch with his portion of dried beef and bread, still glaring at Luxa, who was already happily chatting with Aurora as she ate her own portion.

"There."

Gregor accepted the plate the outcast offered him, and only then did he notice the furious growling of his stomach. "Look, I'm sorry," he eventually managed to say. "But—"

"Never mind." The Death Rider waved. "Luxa informed us about what Dalia said." His gaze found the young woman, who seemed to be packing up the cooking utensils. "She is not wrong to have these worries. Nonetheless, your action was extremely irresponsible!" he shouted in Luxa's direction, who threw him a quick, self-important grin. "Sometimes I genuinely wish she were less like this," he mumbled, running a hand through his already messy hair.

Before Gregor could assure him he felt the same way, the Death Rider pivoted on his heel and brandished a loaf of bread. "Would anyone like, with their rations, a sandwich?"

As he watched the Death Rider beckon both Howard and Luxa to sit side by side by his torch and hand each of them a sandwich, Gregor thought the air had already begun to feel less heavy. He cast the outcast a grateful smile, which he returned promptly.