Chapter 5

Buck was nursing a beer, feeling more than a little awkward, as he listened to his mother and Maddie talk by the time Chimney arrived home with bags full of groceries. As soon as Buck saw him, he jumped up to help, any excuse to break away from the conversation, no matter how brief. Of course, Chimney insisted he was fine as he looked between each of them, confusion in his eyes. But Buck refused to take no for an answer and wrestled one of the bags from Chimney, following him into the kitchen.

For one single moment, he thought he had escaped, until he heard his mother’s voice calling to him and Maddie rounded the corner, placing a sympathetic hand on his shoulder.

“So, when are you going to invite us over to this new place of yours, Evan?” his mother asked, and he sighed, dragging himself back into the main part of the room in time to see his father also returning.

“Actually, it’s Eddie’s place,” he answered, tight and unsure of what else to say.

His father frowned at him. “Is it money? I know times are hard right now, but you can always come to us.”

“It’s not about money,” Buck sighed, his shoulders falling.

“Buck helps out with Chris,” Chimney supplied for him, joining them all and clapping Buck on the back. “Right?”

“Right…” Buck breathed out, and he could practically feel his chest hollowing out at the half-truth. It felt too much like a lie, and he hated it. He hated how much of a coward it made him feel, how much of a disappointment he felt, hiding Eddie away as if he was some dirty little secret.

“That must make dating very awkward for the pair of you,” his father added, before accepting the drink from Maddie as she returned and turning his attention to her. “Jee passed out, so I tucked her up and left her to it.”

“Thanks,” Maddie answered, then she cleared her throat and looked between her guests, attempting to steer the awkward conversation away from Buck and Eddie. “Are you staying for dinner? We’ve got more than enough.”

“Oh no, we couldn’t,” their mother answered, fretting slightly, “we wouldn’t want to intrude.”

“It’s no intrusion,” Chimney answered with a big grin. “We’re family.”

She let go of a small chuckle and nodded. “Okay then. If it’s no trouble.”

“Mom,” Maddie rolled her eyes as she spoke, “we would love you to stay for dinner.”

“What about you, Buckaroo?” Chimney asked, raising his bottle of beer to Buck slightly.

“Actually, we’re taking Chris out to pick up a Christmas tree.” Buck shuffled from foot to foot.

“You and this Eddie?” his father questioned, and when Buck nodded, his father let go of a light chuckle. “Just be careful, people might start to get the wrong idea.”

“Yeah, Buck,” Chimney added, clearing his throat a little as he teased. “People might get the wrong idea.”

Buck took a breath, shaking his head at Chimney as Chimney deliberately avoided his gaze. But all that frustration and nervous energy that had been building up inside of him since his parents had showed up the night before was becoming far too much, bubbling over, making it impossible to contain, making it impossible for him to stop the next words that slipped form his mouth. “And what would that be?”