Chapter 6

"What about this one?" Eddie asked, picking at a branch of a Christmas tree that was at least a foot taller than him, frowning as he looked it over and leaning around it. It was full and green and tall... what more could you need for a Christmas tree?

"No," Chris answered with a firm shake of his head. "It has to be perfect."

Buck stifled a small snort of amusement, his hands firm in the pockets of his jeans and smile firm on his face. Though, after a quick warning glance from Eddie, he cleared his throat and pulled his hands free as he took a step forward, closer to the tree. "I don't know, buddy. Looks pretty perfect to me."

But Chris was having none of it, stubborn as he was already looking toward surrounding trees in the lot. "It's not the one."

Eddie's lips thinned and he let go of a long breath, head falling forward slightly before his gaze met Buck's with a small 'I told you so' written there. Since the Christmas Christopher had become the equivalent of Buck with a clipboard, everything needing to be exact and precise, no room for error, they had come along way. Christopher was going to therapy, just like Eddie, and though Eddie knew he could never take away the fear Chris had about losing his father, he could continue to give Christopher everything he had in the meantime.

But what Eddie didn't understand was why Christopher's Christmas tyranny had decided to return this year of all years.

"You know, I'm not sure any of these trees are going to be exactly perfect," he said, hoping they could reach some form of compromise. He should have known better.

"No, we have to get the right one."

"Christopher..."

"This is Buck's first Christmas with us! It has to be perfect."

That caught Eddie off guard and his words caught in his mouth a moment. "We've had Christmas with Buck loads of times."

"Not like this," Christopher answered. "Not like a family."

It seemed it wasn't just Eddie left speechless by Christopher's words, Buck suddenly shuffling, a blush spreading across his face. Eddie found himself entranced by the sight, the light sheen in Buck's eyes reflecting the twinkling of the Christmas lights strung around the lot.

Eddie smiled and nodded, holding his hands up in defeat. "You're right. It should be perfect."

Christopher looked at him for another moment, waiting for permission, before Eddie waved his hand to say 'have at it', allowing Christopher to head off further into the lot in search of the perfect tree as he and Buck followed behind at a gentler pace.

"He's right you know," Eddie said, his arms rubbing against Buck's. "You're family."

"You might end up regretting that," Buck joked, but the way his eyes refused to meet Eddie's told Eddie all he needed to know. That Buck was afraid his words were true, that he was afraid Eddie would regret it.

Eddie shook his head, his hand finding Buck's, their fingers intertwining. "Never."

The smile Buck gave was warm and soft, almost bashful, and Eddie felt his own smile growing at the sight. It was another few moments before they spoke again, and this time it was Buck who spoke first, returning to a conversation they had started earlier that evening.

"They, er, they want to meet you," he said, before frowning. "Properly, I guess."

When Eddie had returned home after his lunch with his mom, Buck had been abnormally withdrawn but after some pressing, Eddie had managed to get it out of him about what had happened with his parents. Buck had told him how he had blurted everything out before walking away, only to have his mother come after him. But despite them telling him that they accepted him and loved him, Buck still looked so lost.