1.5/Goodbye

A bit faster pace for now, but let me know if you want it to go slower, I try not to add too many details I deem unnecessary. There'll be cuts and lots of scene changes in this chapter.
Slightly proofread.
Chapter: 1.5
Word count: 1.3k

Gon was deadpanned.
How could someone who held themselves so alike like Kite not be a hunter? He told himself not to judge if someone was not what he thought they'd be, but he became all the more curious. He wasn't sure why, but the aura that Choso emitted felt different. Something he couldn't get, but it didn't bother him any so.

It turns out that Choso really didn't know what a hunter was. It was like he was living under a rock--Gon couldn't say that since he was like Choso three years ago.

"Well, hunters are..." Gon couldn't really explain it. "Well, I have to become a hunter if I want to find that out," Gon says, laughing as he rubs behind his neck.

"The rain has stopped. Should we go to that spot?" Choso asked. He didn't know why he said that, but he felt he just had to. With his suggestion, Gon nodded back with a hm!

-
Gon thought back to when he first met Kite, and a question came to his mind. "Hey Mr. Choso? Why did you come to this island anyway?" he asked. He swung his fishing rod.

"I don't know how I got here," Choso replied. He was being honest here.

"Huh?! You don't? Did you really get lost?"

Gon pondered about it. He was never really meant to meet Kite anyway. Just like him, Choso was also lost. But it was also pretty cool, he thought. He got to meet Choso after all.

During the whole afternoon, Gon was distracted, asking Choso a bunch of questions. He was really curious since there were no long-time visitors at Whale Island. His first connection is a very long while.

'What do you like to do?' 'What was life like for you not living inside islands?' 'What is your favorite food?' and to those questions, Choso answered, "I like being around my brothers." "It was quiet and isolating." and "Spaghetti." --The last statement causes Gon to question, "What's spaghetti?"

During his conversation with Gon, Choso realizes that he doesn't have a lot of things going on in his life. No aspirations, or hobbies, other than to live for his brothers--the only one left alive being Yuji. But they both found one thing in common; not knowing much about the world and being isolated from others.
-

"What?! You promised him he could stay with us?" Mito shrieked. She wasn't upset about Choso staying the while rather, she was quite worried about how Gon could make promises so easily.

"But I told him so," Gon paused, "he's also my friend!"

Mito couldn't argue with Gon. She was wary of Choso's appearance and quiet demeanor but later agreed to let Choso share a bedroom with Gon after he kept bugging her about it. She also felt sympathy for how he was basically stranded on the island because of the weather, something that was out of his control.

-
For the week he stayed on Whale Island, Choso had found nothing that would help him figure out his situation. He even went out of his way to ask the fishermen at the docks if they ever heard of Japan or the Shibuya. He was inexperienced in many ways, especially about the world outside of Tengen's barriers which made it even harder for Choso to understand what was going on. Was this island that isolated, or was it just him?
If this was any other day he wouldn't be so freaked out, but he had a job to do; protecting Tengen from that cursed man. That, along with the fact that he wouldn't be able to go to Yuji's aide if he can't go to him. And with each passing day, he was getting more and more frustrated.

Choso sat on the edge of the cliff. Although the reflection of the setting sun was beautiful, Choso was too engrossed in his thoughts to notice. What could possibly help him? He tried to hurt himself in case he may have been in a dream sequence, but that didn't work much to his avail. He even tried to explore the island but there wasn't anything for him to notice. His only option was to leave Whale Island now, which would be the next morning.

"Choso!!"

Choso didn't have to look behind to know who shouted his name. Still, he was startled.

"I caught it! I caught the Swamp King!" Gon shouted. "Mito will finally let me take the hunter exam!" He didn't comment on it but Gon often reminded Choso of his Kechizu-his younger brother, and Choso hasn't even realized that he was giving the young boy his soft treatment. Must be that childish excitement...

"Congratulations, Gon," Choso says softly.

"So...you're leaving tomorrow?" his voice was quiet as if he didn't how he should feel about Choso's departure.

"I am. There's something I need to do. I must get back." With those words, Choso's face became more stern.

"If you're going to go, then could you say goodbye to Kon and our friends? They like you a lot."

-

Gon waved goodbye to Choso as the ship was about to depart. Only when the ship had started to move did he ever shout the last words he'll tell him in a while, a 'goodbye'.

Choso waved his hand back. The moment was bittersweet for him. If only things weren't like that, I think I could...

But for now, Choso had somewhere to go... Actually, where in the world was this ship headed? Choso was too hammered with the idea of leaving the island, he took every opportunity he could get. That's what Yuji would do, right?

Whale Island has already disappeared, the only thing left was the sea the bright sun up above, and himself. Well--there were a few men on board, but Choso wasn't feeling like including them in the moment.

"Next destination estimation in 9 hours!" the captain shouted from above, asking whether the shipmen had completed their tasks before or else they wouldn't have lunch.

"Hey, you've been standing there for a while. Like, 2 hours and 10 minutes awhile." The man who said--that presumably a worker for the ship-- put his hand on Choso's left shoulder, "You're the one that got this morning, with that cute kid waving you goodbye," it wasn't a question, but a statement. "He was your brother wasn't he? Why'd you leave anyways?" the man asked teasingly with a smile.

My brother... "Gon isn't my brother," said Choso, and he didn't say anything more, even his expression was blankless.

"Oh...well I hope you have a nice journey on board! Kurts's the name, ask me anything if you have questions." instead of leaving Choso alone he pulled out a wrapped sandwich from his behind, offering to give half to Choso, be he declined it anyway. Questions. Right, I still don't know what a hunter is.

When Choso asked Gon about hunters, he wasn't given an actual answer, but he heard from the residents that Gon's dad was a hunter, and that was something to be marveled for. As for what he knew, it was a dangerous profession from what he heard from a conversation between Gon and his Aunt.

"I do have a question," Choso started, "What are hunters? And mean hunters. The ones that the residents talk about."

With food stuffed in his mouth, "Hm? Oh, it makes sense why you probably don't know about those. Mhm." He swallowed his bite before speaking again, answering Choso's question.

"Hm? Shibuya? I've been to many places, and I don't think I've heard of anything like that or whatever Japan is." Kurts took another bite from his sandwich, "But if you're really that curious, maybe you could become a hunter. That's what hunters do."

What hunters do? Now that his questions have been answered, maybe he could become a hunter. He may be able to find a clue, or even a way back.