Arrivals

Over the next few weeks, Ricardia fell into an uneasy rhythm within her new life in Onyx. Sana quickly introduced her to the rest of the Sandroom's staff, and Ricardia made an effort to present herself as someone likable, yet unassuming. She had no desire to make any lasting connections though, aside from Sana. From her point of view, she'd be leaving soon enough anyway.

In the evenings, she performed. Although Dani had promised otherwise, Ricardia found herself doing at least one performance every night, sometimes two. She wasn't in a position to complain, however - being paid and fed were things she was willing to suck it up for.

There was a silver lining to the frequent performances, though. It soon became clear that the five Forms which incorporated Ricardia's Factor were not nearly enough material for her to use in a week's worth of dancing. It only took a few days for Dani to approach her, ranting about the need for fresh ideas and an for improvisation. But this was something that Ricardia didn't mind - in fact, she'd never had the opportunity to choreograph, back home on Caedem. That privilege was exclusive to the Caedish high priest, and very rarely acted upon. But Ricarda had broken so many rules already that the tradition barely fazed her.

So instead of the Forms, Ricardia began to dance her own stories. One night, she performed a jagged, flashy two-step that retold the assault she sustained upon arriving in Caedus. Another evening, the audience was treated to a gentle ballad of rosy reds and pinks, Ricardia drawing from the hours she spent playing with Cassadra in the apartment. It was a strange experiment, but Ricardia enjoyed these new, different stories. They felt personal, more vulnerable as her own artistic creations.

She even began to enjoy the attention a little, as news spread of the Sandroom's new attraction. Soon, she was being recognized on the street whenever she went out with Sana. Dani even dubbed her a moniker to fan the flames; she insisted on presenting Ricardia as the Prism Dancer, which she found a little egregious.

It was hard, of course: Dani's demands and mild insanity left Ricardia exhausted. She felt guilty and embarrassed for taking advantage of Sana's hospitality, and the looming reality - that she'd have to return to Caedem eventually - was a horrible, lingering thought.

"I can't believe I wanted to go back so badly," Rciardia said to Sana as they walked to the Sandroom for an evening shift. "I guess it was sheer panic driving me."

"What about just never going back?" Sana asked her. "If what happened is really as bad as you say, I wouldn't do it. I mean, look at you now," Sana added. "You're like a small celebrity around here. People are obsessed with the things you can do."

"I can't sleep on your couch forever," Ricardia said, her smile bitter. "I knew it had been a mistake - running away - from the moment I left. But then all this happened, and-"

"Hey," Sana gave her a light shove, forcing Ricardia to pause. "Whatever it is you've done, I'm sure you had a good reason. I'm a pretty good judge of people - otherwise, you wouldn't be within a league of my sister. Whatever choice you make will be the right one, I'm sure."

Ricardia smiled, appreciative. "I wish I felt the same way," she said. "But thanks,"

She wanted to tell Sana, she really did. But explaining things to her was no guarantee of understanding. What she'd done was on a scale that few people could conceptualize fully. But Sana was right. She needed to make a choice about her next step - and fully commit.

POV SWITCH.

It's common knowledge in Standard space that the best form of space travel is almost always the most efficient. Spaceships across the system are designed to fit as much life-support equipment and fuel into the smallest possible space, propelled by the most cost-effective engine.

Thus, the Andromeda flaunted her luxuriousness not with fine decor and service (although both were present in abundance), but with a structural layout that rejected the most fundamental guidelines of spacecraft design. Its hallways were huge, airy, and devoid of anything useful, and Its engine was a massive, hulking block of excessive raw power. The ship was gigantic, fast, and heavy as shit, and the cost to keep it running was astronomical - it was the most lavish ship that Lukas had ever stepped foot on.

Even now, weeks into their trip, he marveled at the lush suite that Lukas and his mother Erin had been provided. Her position as a military scientist had its perks, for sure - but this was an almost-disgusting level of wealth. From what he'd gathered from his mother's long-winded lectures, however - and the snippets and rumors he'd heard aboard the ship, this was no routine survey mission. His mother was involved in something very high profile, important - and expensive enough - for private sponsors to be involved.

...

Lukas groaned, stretching his body across the massive bed. Compared to his dorm at the University back home, he had more room that he knew what to do with. As he rolled over in an attempt to get to his feet, Lukas collided with a pile of books he'd left on top of the covers. He'd fallen asleep last night in the midst of a book - again.

As Lukas began to organize and put them away, he was interrupted by a knock. Setting down a textbook, the newest edition of A Planet's Origins, Lukas hurried over to open the door. In the hallway stood Erin Adamas, already dressed for the day in her trousers and lab coat, military medals pinned smartly against her breast.

She looked as she always did - calm and self-assured. But Lukas noticed new shadows under her eyes and a slight stoop to her posture, telltale signs of spending long hours in the lab.

"Good morning Lukas," she said, peering over his shoulder to eye the messy state of the room.

"Hello," Lukas said, shifting his body to block her view. "I guess I overslept."

"You did," she said, sighing, "But with bedrooms like these, I can't blame you."

"I was up late reading," he said, sheepish. "I was hoping I'd get to be part of some real work this time, but I guess not."

"Planaelogy is a complex study." Erin answered. "I would have liked you to graduate first before you become involved in my work."

"So when why am I here?" Luka's voice rose suddenly. "I've been asking you for years to take me on a research trip, and you finally do - and all I'm doing is sitting here in this fancy tub!"

His mother grimaced, the lines on her face deepening. To Lukas, it seemed like she was hesitating, but her expression settled too quickly for him to focus on it.

"I know - and that's what I wanted to speak to you about, actually." Erin said. "We're close to our next destination, and I'd like you to join me when I go off-board."

Lukas blinked, completely startled. "Wait... really? Are you serious?"

When she nodded, he couldn't help but grin.

"But why now? What changed?"

His mother gave him a tired smile.

"I decided that you were right - that maybe you are ready. That's why you're on this trip."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Lukas knew he was grinning, excitement flaring up.

"I wanted it to be a surprise, it seems." She turned away.

"Get dressed and meet me on the bridge. If you're quick, you'll be able to see us approaching the harbor."