Saying goodbye.

*Georgy*

My hand fumbled with my suitcase zipper as I sobbed and shook. I didn't feel anything at this point; I was completely numb. Seeing Alexanders heart shatter into a million pieces crushed my heart. All I wanted to do was wrap my arms around him and stay there but I couldn't anymore. I came here hoping we would fix things and go back to where we were before but there was no fixing us anymore. I brought myself off the floor and picked up my suitcase. I pulled out the handle and began to roll it out of Alexander's bedroom. Once I was at the door, I turned around to look at Alexander's room one more time and closed the door behind me.

The steps I took down the skinny hallway felt like it was taking me a thousand years. Each step felt like it was in slow motion. I reached the stairs, grabbed the handle and made my way down the steps carefully. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, Alexander was still stood in the same spot where I left him. He was staring at the floor with the most hurt expression. I sighed and slipped my shoes onto my feet. 

"Goodbye Alexander," I whispered as I opened the front door. The cold London air embraced me as I closed the door behind me. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and ordered an Uber. I waited for a while and debated wether I should go back inside and take back everything I said to Alexander but I knew it wasn't a choice I should make. After a couple minutes went by and my Uber finally pulled up to the side of the road. The driver got out and helped me put my suitcase into the trunk of the car. Once we finished closing the trunk, we both got into the car and began to drive.

"We're heading to the airport?" The man asked.

"Yes sir," I choked out.

My throat felt dry from crying but I forcefully swallowed back more tears. The drive to the airport felt so short. When I got to London it felt quick but I think it was the anticipation I was feeling to see Alexander. My eyes watched the city go by us as we drove. Familiar buildings past us as we made our way to the Airport. I didn't want to say goodbye to Alexander or this city but I needed time to myself. 

***

"Flight 653 departing to Seattle is now boarding," the intercom said loudly.

I stood up from my seat in the airport and grabbed my purse from beside me. I pulled out my passport and boarding ticket while I waited in the line of people. Once it was my turn, I handed the women at the desk my passport and watched her rip the end of my boarding pass. I thanked her quietly and began to walk down the tunnel with my passport in hand. Part of me was waiting for Alexander to run to the gate and stop me like they do in the movies but he didn't come. A ping of pain hit my heart again as I walked. I knew he wasn't coming. 

The air stewardess greeted me with a warm smile as I boarded the plane. I searched for my seat behind the line of people and spotted it. I waited for people to put their luggage in the overhead compartment and sit down. I finally reached my spot as the line of people got shorter. I sat down in my window seat and put my headphones into my ear. I did up my seatbelt and watched the tarmac men put on our luggage into the belly of the plane. Music played into my ears as I watched them. 

The planes engines began to start up as I sat there. I waited for people to sit beside me but no one came. Most people would be happy that they have a row all to themselves but in my case I wasn't. I didn't want people to see my upset but having someone beside you feels warm even when they are a complete stranger. The plane began to back up and move down the runway. My eyes gazed at the lines on the runway and watched the other planes taxi on the tarmac. 

Once it was our turn to take off, the plane sped down the runway. I felt it lift off in my stomach and I knew it was too late to turn around. 

***