Chapter One; Turtleducks

It was approaching dusk and the sun painted streaks of pink and gold across the afternoon sky over the Capital of the Fire Nation.

A servant girl rushes through the hallways of the palace, bowing down as she passes notable high-ranking generals and keeping her head lowered as she hurries across the courtyard towards the royal garden.

Her orders are simple enough but it's the recipient of her orders she worries about. Her worry stems from affection and a hint of fear; she's certain almost all the other servants of the palace share the same feeling when it comes to that person.

She soon finds her overlord, (Y/N), in her usual place, seated under the only cherry blossom in the garden overshadowing a pond with turtle ducks swimming across at a fast pace, as if rushing to greet her.

But she isn't alone, standing next to her is an elegant figure; Mei instantly catches sight of the slim figure with her usual high-top bun and knows it's her Princess Azula.

The two of them are the unlikeliest of peas in a pod; one was cold, calculating and harsh, the other was kind, friendly and good natured; mostly, she thinks with a shiver running through her. There was a darker side to (Y/N) that everyone was aware of, a side to her that made her the most feared girl in the Fire Nation's Imperial Army.

Mei kneels down a few paces behind her two masters. "Princess, Dragoness."

Princess Azula turns first, golden eyes sharp as her regal nose crinkles up in annoyance. "What is it?"

"Tsk, Azula must you be so tempered." (Y/N) dusted off the few crumbs from her fingers as the turtleducks swim around in a flurry, rushing to catch the crumbs as they fell.

Their discord ripples the water, disrupting the lambent reflection of the sun on the water's surface.

The princess rolls her eyes at her companion and folds her arms, "Honestly, (Y/N), you give these servants more respect than they deserve."

(Y/N) stands up and turns to Mei, towering over Azula by a few inches.

"You may rise up, what news have you brought Mei?" She asked.

Mei stands up and finally looks up at the two figures. She's almost taken aback by (Y/N)'s appearance. It had been three years since her last visit, the great warrior had grown greatly.

Azula was a thing of great beauty, her hair was as dark as coal with bangs always adoring her sharp jaw. Her golden eyes were shaped like almonds and with her regal nose it seemed fitting that she was a princess because she was staggeringly beautiful, even at this tender age of fourteen.

But next to (Y/N) she paled in comparison.

(Y/N) had long (H/C) that was tied back into a series of complicated braids that fell down the length of her back with two braids adorned in golden hoops framing her delicate face. Her (E/C) eyes had golden flecks in them, making it intimidating at times to stare into for too long. A gust of wind flew by, sweeping the two small braids across her startling face.

Her ethereal features were a reminder that (Y/N) was not human, she was a spirit girl.

Although her features were doll-like, she was dressed in a heavy war garment consisting of a blend of fiery red and gold ornate gauntlets and greaves with a dragon scale breastplate at the center that had a startling thin streak of dark red across; blood.

Mei also noticed a line of dried-up blood across her neck.

(Y/N) had arrived on her battle cruiser that day but before even changing out of her armor she had come here, to this spot.