Introduction

The Open Novella Contest (ONC) is a prestigious literary competition that presents a unique opportunity for writers to showcase their creative abilities and storytelling flair. The contest focuses on the production of novellas, a literary form that sits between the realm of short stories and full-length novels. This format allows participants to create compelling, intricate narratives while staying within the word count range of 20,000 to 40,000. This word count provides a balance between the freedom of storytelling found in short stories and the depth and complexity one might find in a full-length novel. By taking on this challenge, writers can hone their craft and refine their writing skills, all while competing for recognition and exposure in the literary world.

Some well-known novellas include "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka, and "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck.

As the cold grip of winter lingers into February, a new and exciting season of storytelling emerges through the frost. For around three months, writers from all walks of life and varying degrees of experience can delve deep into the realm of imagination, drawing inspiration from a plethora of themes and prompts provided by contest organisers. The prompts act as catalysts for a wide range of diverse tales, empowering writers with the freedom to explore their preferred genres or even to venture into uncharted narrative territories.

 The prompts act as catalysts for a wide range of diverse tales, empowering writers with the freedom to explore their preferred genres or even to venture into uncharted narrative territories

NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, is a well-known challenge that pushes writers to write 50,000 words in just 30 days. While this is certainly an impressive accomplishment, not everyone has the time or availability to commit to such a demanding schedule. This is where the Open Novella Contest comes in. With a more flexible timeline and a lower word count requirement, the contest offers a more manageable option for those with busy schedules. If you're a writer looking for a challenge that fits your lifestyle, there are several reasons why you should consider participating in the Open Novella Contest.

The Open Novella Contest (ONC) presents an excellent opportunity for writers to explore new and unfamiliar genres, without the commitment of a lengthy novel. If you're looking to finally complete that narrative you've been working on, aligning it with a prompt can help you rejuvenate its essence and bring it to life in a new and exciting way. Or maybe there's a concept you recently thought of. This contest could be the perfect motivator. Whether you've set a New Year's resolution to finish your story or simply need inspiration to overcome a creative block, the ONC can help you get your story across the finish line.

If you missed out on the previous Open Novella Contest, don't worry - the next one starts on February 1st, 2024 at 12:01 AM EST. Be sure to add this book to your collection for updates on the contest and get ready to unleash your creativity in a thrilling and competitive writing challenge.

 Be sure to add this book to your collection for updates on the contest and get ready to unleash your creativity in a thrilling and competitive writing challenge

Please note that this contest and its rules are the creation of a team of Ambassadors (volunteers) and are in no way affiliated with Wattpad or its staff. Judging of the said contest is entirely run by its creators and is not the responsibility of Wattpad or its staff. We reserve the right to refuse contest entries that we feel do not meet the required criteria or contain potentially triggering material. We are not obliged to give feedback related to entries, and any given is at our discretion. Please note that the decision of the judges is final and that abusive language or behaviour directed at the Ambassadors, the profile, or the judges will not be tolerated and may be reported to Wattpad's Trust and Safety team for their inspection.