📊 Round One Statistics

To wrap up Round One of the Open Novella Contest 2024, we would like to share the numbers and statistics for all those interested to know.

This year we had 815 submissions. After screening for the ones with (1) 2k words, (2) no banned content/multimedia, (3) created on or after Feb 1st, 2024 and (4) are not a duplicate ; we got 694 eligible entries.

Genre Statistics

For another year in a row, Fantasy was the genre with the most submissions at 208 entries. And with 9 entries, Children's Fiction was the genre with the least submission, again (8 more entries than last year!)

As for the detailed numbers & percentages, here they are in descending order:

✧ Fantasy, 208 entries | 25,5%.

✧ Romance, 172 entries | 21,1%.

✧ Horror & Paranormal, 100 entries | 12.3%.

✧ Mystery & Thriller, 97 entries | 11.9%.

✧ Science Fiction, 53 entries | 6.5%.

✧ Teen Fiction, 48 entries | 5,9%.

✧ General Fiction, 47 entries | 5,8%.

✧ Action & Adventure, 32 entries | 3,9%.

✧ Fanfiction, 27 entries | 3,3%.

✧ Historical Fiction, 22 entries | 2,7%.

✧ Children's Fiction, 9 entries | 1,1%.

Prompt Statistics

The top three most popular prompts were:

Prompt#24 : A desperate wish, made from the heart, is always answered. Sooner or later.

➳ with 37 entries

Prompt#3 : Your greatest fear is monsters in the dark. The last thing you expect is to become the Monster in the dark.

➳ with 32 entries

Prompt#9 : After some long months of working harder than ever, you finally get to your well deserved vacation getaway but when you arrive at the hotel there is this one star that brings all the paparazzi and trouble with them and makes your vacation a one to remember.

➳ with 26 entries

The prompts that were used only once!

Prompt#39 : You get sucked into your phone and hop from app to app, searching for a way out.

Prompt#100 : In a concert hall filled with hundreds of people, only you are hearing different lyrics to what everyone is singing.

And the prompts that were not used at all!

Prompt#89 : Heaven and hell do exist after death. You choose hell, and when you arrive you hear Satan say, "Finally someone! A friend!"

Prompt#75 : You awake in the middle of the night to a voice saying loudly "May the force be with you..."

Fun fact: we had 4 entries for prompt#4!

(When life gives you balloons, you fly up into the sky.)

▪️▪️▪️

What are else are you interested to know? 👀