11. Poppy

With my heart in my throat, I stand and watch—in what feels like slow motion—Alvaro pushing himself from against the wall, walking straight over to me

With my heart in my throat, I stand and watch—in what feels like slow motion—Alvaro pushing himself from against the wall, walking straight over to me. Zara has already joined my side, her jaw on the floor and eyes wide with excitement as she takes in what she assumes is happening here.

      "Holy shit!" She gasps, removing her sunglasses completely. "It's Alvaro! He's come to see you! This is incredible!"

     I fold my arms around myself, remembering that I'm only dressed in a bikini top on the top half of my body. I feel somewhat exposed, but then I remind myself that every other girl on this island walks around in such skimpy bathing attire.

"Señorita Poppy," Alvaro says with such charm a rush of heat burns through my skin. He pulls what I assume is a pair of Raybans away from his eyes and clasps the arm over the neck of his pristine white t-shirt. "I missed you today. I thought I'd come see you."

"I, uh...how did you know where to find me?" I ask. It doesn't go unnoticed to me how odd it is that he was purposely waiting on the wall outside our hotel. Expectedly, however, Zara lets out a small shriek and pats me on the back.

      "I'll leave you guys to it!" She whispers. "Catch you by the pool, okay? Catch you later Alvaro." She winks to Alvaro before she turns quickly on her heel.

     I frown gently, but then nod and I watch as Zara skips over to the poolside, returning to where her towel lays crumpled across one of the sun beds we had occupied earlier this morning. When I turn back around, Alvaro has moved closer, his black hair fanned across his forehead, and he smiles.

That. God. Damn. Smile.

     I bite my lip with apprehension. "Hey."

     "Hey." Alvaro counters, his smile rounded and comforting now. "I missed you."

"You did?"

He nods as if it shouldn't be a shock that he's missed me. "Of course! I wondered if I might see you again tonight?"

I smile by default, my skin flaming once more (but not from the sun) and I shrug lazily. "Maybe. I guess we could stop off at the beach club." I'm not quite sure, but I feel like I'm flirting, and it takes me by surprise. I reign myself back in, clearing my throat. "I just mean we could, uh, get a few drinks there later."

    Alvaro sniggers, his lips pursed tight with an air of amusement. "I'd like that Poppy."

     The way he says my name—with the tinge of Spanish behind the syllables—makes my insides quake. I move my hands to my hips as a bout of confidence begins to fill my stomach. "Okay. Cool. I'll see you later then?"

     Alvaro nods gently, his eyes burning into mine. I hate how weak he makes me feel. I hate how by, just looking to his eyes, I lose control over everything I've fought so hard to instil within myself. I hate, how even within such a short space of time, I feel so hung up on this man that I barely know. "I will see you later Poppy. Come at nine. The cocktails are on me."