22. Poppy

My head is already spinning after I clean up my second mojito

My head is already spinning after I clean up my second mojito. Brad and his friends have one of the larger hotel rooms that overlooks the sea. We've all gathered on the balcony and haven't wasted any time in getting our night started.

     Zara was—as expected—more than happy to have company for our pre-drink antics. Regardless of her stint with Diego last night (and what will probably continue for the rest of the holiday) she didn't seem adverse to extending her flirtation to other guys. Brad's friend Todd has had his eyes on her all night, and, in all honesty, she hasn't not enjoyed the attention.

    I slurp up the remains of my third mojito and decide to put a stop to the pre-drinking as to preserve my tolerance until we hit the strip. A part of me feels strange that there's no plans to see Alvaro tonight; we haven't planned to go to The Luna Beach Club, in actual fact, Brad has a plan to hit a huge underground club before seeing in the morning on the beach. In all honesty, I'm not sure how I feel about not ending the night in bed, but, as I took in how excited the plan made Zara, I decided to release my inhibitions for just one night.

Out on the strip, the energy is as vibrant as ever. Thunderous roars of wired young adults bounces from the buildings to the sea. A light, warm breeze suffocates the crowds. Music bursts in every direction. Despite feeling a little buzzed, a keep a small distance behind Zara and the guys. I don't know where we're heading as such; I just know Brad is leading the way. Todd has his arm around Zara's shoulder and every five seconds her head flies back with raw laughter. I welcome a smile at the sight; she's happy and enjoying a week of guilt-free freedom before adulthood properly starts. But then again, adulthood hasn't had to start for Zara. Neither should it have. It's me that's had to grow up too fast because of the unfortunate cruelty I've suffered from my own blood.

"How you hanging on in there bud?"

I look up quickly, unaware my gaze had dropped to the paving below my feet. At the sight of Brad's wild hair and beaming grin in front of me, I force thoughts of my father and brother out of my mind. "Sorry, I must have got caught up in the crowd." I only just realise how far behind the group I've flagged. Brad laughs and snakes his arm around my waist.

      "You up for a little game of beer pong?"

     I smirk apprehensively. "Beer pong? Aren't we going to that underground club you guys were on about?"

     Brad laughs wildly, his hand tight around my waist. "Sure, that's where the night will end. But the night is still young gorgeous."

     I nod, like I should know a club isn't the first port of call on a wild night out. I also decide to ignore his description of me. Brad ushers me closer to the group and I follow their lead to a funky, neon-lit bar that proudly boasts rows of pool tables out front, with further drinking games seemingly happening inside.