Chapter 1 - A new beginning

The drive to training headquarters felt as though it'd never end, but I had mum to talk to on the way.
"I can't believe my baby boy is joining the Venatores" she weeped overdramatically, as if she was trying to stop me from leaving.
"Well I'm not really a baby any more!" I chuckled and rolled my eyes. In spite of how happy I am that I got into the academy, there was still a sense of fear deep inside of me. That I might fail everyone. That I'm not good enough. But I know I'll also miss mum. She'll be all alone after dad passed on. Mum was a little lady, but she had a lot of fighting spirit and was very strong and optimistic. So I knew I shouldn't worry. But I couldn't help it.
Mum interrupted my thoughts by replying with "Aww, you'll always be my baby. Also, does Charlie have the same training time table as you?" I thought about it for a second but remembered the unfortunate truth.
"No, she doesn't. But hopefully I'll still make new friends still!" I answered with, sounding very optimistic.

I looked out the window as we approached the car park. Observing myself in the car window hoping my appearance looks ok for making a good first impression. The car park was still far away from headquarters, so I couldn't see it yet, but I had imagined it to be a grand sky scraper building, surrounded by grassy fields and at the very top, you can peer over the borders and see the ocean. I've never seen the ocean-
"Here we are! Do you want me to walk you up to the gate Hun?" Mum sounded so happy but I knew deep down she was worrying about my safety.
"Of course mum" I took up her offer immediately. Smiling at her I gestured for us that we need to grab all my bags before we go.

Once we'd grabbed all of my stuff and stacked them on top of each other (as if they were a puzzle) so I could carry them all, we began to approach the silver gates. Guarded by high tech security and two fully trained Venatores there too check people's ID's so nobody breaks in. Slowly I approached the gates, I could sense mum holding back her tears, trying to stay strong. I gave mum a long meaningful hug, and whispered.
"I love you"
"I love you too honey, now go have a great time, and protect us all. I'm proud of you." That last line really hit me, 'im proud of you' is something I don't hear often. Especially not with actual meaning to it. I won't fail you mum. I promise.

I gave the guards my ID and they let me in. Me and all the other recruits were put in a bus to travel to the headquarters. It was built on the edge of the cliff we were currently on. Dangerous? Yes, but it gave us all a reminder to stay hyperviligant, and be careful.

Suddenly, the bus struck to a halt. Stepping out the vehicle, my eyes immediately were guided to the headquarters. It was nothing like I had every imagined. Futuristic, Extravagant, Abstract. The walls were lined with bullet-proof windows, revealing everything. Training ground as giant as football pitches. Maybe even bigger. 20 stories of the cream coloured walls and windows. I counted. Next to it was the lighthouse. It was the only normal thing for me. Classic, red and white. Amazed, all my doubtful thoughts blew away with the wind. But, then there was a bustling group of everyone rushing towards my right. I looked too see what it was, and it was the ocean. We could see it. No boarder. Just a few low gates. I rushed over with them. A wave of wow's and oh my god's filled the salty air. The wind making my short, curly brunette hair whisk through the wind.
It was gorgeous, magnificent. I'd never seen such a gorgeous array of blues and white. For once I just felt, so miniscule. I'd never known or seen such an endless void within the atmosphere of earth. My mind absorbed the aesthetic world that had been held away from me. How could such an irresistible, glamorous peninsula, be filled with terror and darkness? My brain couldn't comprehend it. But never mind that.

Staring down at the world I thought. This was my awakening to a new world. My new beginning.