Chapter 4 - Leaders

As soon as District 2 arrived, all of District 3 were waiting to be told why we'd been called here. We were asked to be wake up early in the morning, around 5am, so we were all ready. Everyone was lined up in 4 separate rows, shortest and the front row, tallest at the back row. I was in the second row to the front.

There were 5 people that were at the front watching us. Bernadette was the only face I recognised. But before I could ask the person next to me about if they knew what was happening, someone took a step forward.
   "Hello, District 3. I am sure you are all wondering who we are, and I will answer that question shortly, but for now, just as a quick test, everyone do 50 push ups."

Whoever said that was a tall man, with long golden hair, and was wearing a uniform similar to ours except with many badges on it. People's heads turned to look at each other, trying to figure out if it was a joke or not. We all thought the same thing,
   'why do we have to be tested if we've already passed the test?'
   "Sbrigati!* I want to see you all on the ground in the next 10 seconds." He snapped at us. I wasn't shocked though, how are we supposed to get better if they're easy on us?

*Sbrigati = hurry up (Italian)

Along with everyone else, I knelt onto the ground, got into formation, and started to do push ups. I may have been confused, but I still had a goal, to prove that I deserve to be in the top district. I've worked for this my whole life, and I'm sure others have, but nobody is as determined as I am, and I am going to prove that.
   I'd done 13 push ups in time with everyone else, but where a few people began to slow down, I sped up. I kept reminding myself that I need to be better, and just thought,
   'I've got this. I need to show everyone that I'm not a weak child anymore.'

30 seconds. That's all I needed. I stood up to announce I was done, and prove that that test didn't phase me.
   "Anything else you want me to do?" I sneakily said, confirming to all the heads turning to me, that I'd finished. I didn't even break a sweat, and they could all see it.

The golden haired man looked at me, shocked. I could tell he was judging me and my ability.
   "Ohohoho... Alright Mister, if you think your so good, then do another 50 before everyone else gets up." Chuckling as he said it. The eye roll and dirty look he gave me made me develop a new boost of adrenaline. I kept a stern look and counted to 3, then began again.

Half-way done, and 3/4's of people stood up. I could see the people behind me struggling, so I took my chance and hurried up. Before I knew it, there was one person still down, other than myself. And I beat them. Sure, I broke a sweat  the second time, but I impressed the very people in front of me and around me, which was all I wanted.
   Awkward silence filled the air, but was soon overwhelmed with the sound of scattered applauds. The golden haired man rolled his eyes once more and scoffed at me, revealing how annoyed he felt to be proved wrong.

"Well then Milo, that was a very clearly impressive display. I'm proud of you young man." Bernadette interrupted my applause. But I didn't care, a leader saying they were proud of me is all I wanted. A smile creeped over my stern look.
   "Now then, as you all know who I am, I will take liberty of introducing the rest of the leaders!" She hobbled over to the leader closest to her, the golden haired man.
   "This man, also known as Marco, is head of all training departments." As Bernadette said that it made a lot of sense in everyone's minds. I mean, who else would test us like that? Plus, if you focused hard enough, you could see the outlines of his muscles through his uniform.

Bernadette began shuffling over to the next person, in the middle of the group. Stood there was an extremely tall man, about 6'8 I'd guess? Who had an overgrown curly ginger beard and short, but still curly and ginger hair. Despite having the brightest hair colour possible, that fact he'd braided his beard like a viking would, made him stand out even more. Bernadette looked up at him and then announced,
   "This is Benedict, he is in charge of all of the cooking and anyone who ends up working in the cafeteria or kitchen!" Benedict gave everyone a large smile and wave, he may look big and scary but inside he seemed to be a big softy.

Once Bernadette reached the fourth person in the line. Standing in that spot was the shortest person in the line. She had a black pixiecut that was shaved at the back and sides, she wore a normal uniform like everyone else, but had giant steel-toe boots and wore gloves as well.
   "This is Mae, head of engineering, machinery and vehicles." Mae stood very proudly with her hands on her hips and waved to everyone shouting,
   "HEYOOO NICE TO FINALLY MEET ALL YOU YOUNGSTERS!!! I'm excited to see which of you punks will end up working with me!" Unexpectedly, she had quite a deep voice, but you could clearly hear her Italian accent.

Finally, the person at the end of the line was approached by Bernadette. When I looked at him, I felt shocked? Confused?  I didn't really know. The person standing there... he looked the same age as the rest of us. He had a different uniform to everyone else, yet it still looked similar. His hair was a short curly dark-brown, and  he had scars on his face were just barely visible. Bernadette rose her hand to gesture to him, who was standing on her right, but my left.
   "This young fella, well he's quite special, I'll tell ya that. Everyone meet Dushyant. If your lucky enough, by the end of all your training, you might be able to go out to sea with him, fighting off all of the sea demons. Now, I can see all your confused looks, but Dushyant, is the Captain in training!"