Wattpad Original
There are 21 more free parts

Ch. 41: No Choice

The space was too small.

Isaac rolled under a wooden bench, narrowly avoiding a battle axe. Bodies packed the room. Golden whips slithered out like hungry snakes, spearing men through the back. A sunhound ripped into a screaming woman's thigh. Isaac sliced through the hound as he rose, dodging a well-placed arrow. The stench of blood and sweat was nauseating.

He couldn't see.

Couldn't think.

Anna stood on a bench. She was sending out silver darts of magic, hurling them like knives. One of the darts struck a soldier in the back; he collapsed to the floor, screaming as he tore at his own skin. A shiver went down Isaac's spine.

He'd never seen her in action before, Isaac realized. She'd pretended to be a healer, and by the time he knew what Anna was, it was too late; she was weak from Ryne's curse. But seeing her at full power like this...

Anna threw more silver whips. Each whip struck its target, felling three men. Bile rose in his throat. This, Isaac thought, was what his commander had warned him about. Nightmare weavers. The stuff of children's fairytales and monsters that hid under your bed.

Thank fuck she was on their side.

Still.

It wasn't enough. Not nearly.

Sunhounds burst from the walls, raining down like golden hellfire. Eris's men sliced through their soldiers like summer wheat. And then there was Lucia. The goddess was smiling serenely, weaving a web of golden magic. Men dropped to their knees in front of her. Choked themselves. Choked each other. They were puppets that did whatever Lucia asked, without question. They were glad to.

Isaac shivered.

He knew what that magic was like. It was impossible to resist.

"With me!" Ryne roared. "Get to the door!"

He was slashing through the crowd, his blade a whirl of silver sparks. Blood streaked his face. The far door, Isaac realized; he was trying to clear a path to it.

Sensible.

If they went back into the tunnel, they were rats in a barrel. But if they could break down the door... if they could escape into Helos Castle...

A glimmer of hope filled him.

"I've got it," Camille said.

Her face was filthy, her plaited hair matted with blood. She raised her hands. Golden strands tumbled from her fingers, snaking around enemy soldiers. Their eyes turned glazed, and they lowered their weapons, stepping dutifully to the side.

"I can't hold it." Camille's teeth were gritted. "Go. Now."

An arrow whizzed toward her. Isaac snatched a fallen shield, half-throwing himself in front of her. His heart was a drum in his ears.

Ryne drove his sword through a sunhound. "Cover her!"

Grayson leapt forward, slashing an arc around Camille. Penny was there too, her fingers extended, helping to push the guards back with magic. Beads of sweat clung to her forehead. Isaac moved to cover her, and Ryne snarled.

"Not you," Ryne said. "Stay the hell away from us, Webb."

Isaac cut down a sunhound. "I'm on your side."

"Are you?" Ryne demanded.

Ryne parried a soldier's blade, his green eyes burning. A lump rose in Isaac's throat.

"Ry."

"If anyone gets hurt today," Ryne said, his voice low, "that's on you. Do you understand?"

The lump grew thicker. "I'll get us out."