The Rogue Knight: 8*

We climbed into the coach, and the large men shut the door. Once they were rolling, Joe took off his mask. Me, Mira and Cole followed his example.
"I saw someone from home!" I announced, barely able to contain my excitement.
"Really?" Cole asked.
"It was Jill Davis, from school," I explained.
"She's a slave, some kind of apprentice in training. She told me where Dalton is!"
"That's wonderful!" Mira exclaimed.
"Where is he?" Cole said, obviously excited to find our best friend.
"At a confidence lounge in Merriston," I said.
"The Silver something. Jill wouldn't come with us, even though I tried to convince her, but I know where she is now, so we can come back for her."
"Good information," Joe approved. "I met with one of the Unseen. Apparently, the main confidence lounges in Carthage have fallen under heavy government supervision. He warned that it would be too dangerous to hire any of the enchanters working there. He gave me the name of an illusionist who can help us— Verilan the Incredible, a prominent local performer. We'll go to his show tonight and meet him afterward.
Do either of you pick up any leads about a valuable secret prisoner?"
I shook my head, as did Cole.
"I heard a lot about the Rogue Knight," Mira said. "People are also talking about a big threat in the north. People are vanishing. They suspect it's an Ellowine Carnag."
"That's what I heard too." I said.
"It's a safe bet that Honor's power is on the prowl," Joe said. "My contact thought this illusionist could have some good information for us. He also warned me that Enforcers have started making inquiries about two girls and three boys traveling together, perhaps with an adult male. The contact guessed that I was the adult male in question, and I made no attempt to dissuade him."
"Did he know who I was?" Mira asked.
"He hadn't heard your name," Joe said. "But he had seen a sketch of your face. Sounds like the Enforcers are pretty sure we're here. One of their best is coming to personally oversee the manhunt. They call him the Hunter. He's infamous. Most Enforcers limit their work to specific kingdoms. The Hunter runs operations in all five. Chances are he has some unusual shaping abilities."
"Or shapecraft skills," Cole said.
"Nothing would surprise me," Joe said. "In short, we need to hurry and disguise your faces, then we need to get out of town."

~

"I love illusionist's," Twitch said, drumming his fingers on his knees. "With all the trouble we're in, I can't believe we're on our way to a show."
"We're not after laughs," Mira said. "The right disguises could help us avoid a lot of trouble."
We had boarded a coach in front of a museum several blocks from their inn. Joe thought the vehicle would help mask our arrival and departure. It was not the same coach they had used to visit the confidence lounge.
"But meanwhile we get a show," Twitch enthused. "I've loved dazzle shows ever since I was little. They make the impossible come true."
"Illusionists fake the impossible," Jace scoffed.
"They fool your eyes. Big deal."
He looked really good in his maroon button down and black dress pants. Joe had said Mira helped pick the outfits, and i'm pretty sure she had made sure me and Jace matched.
"The good ones make it seem real," Twitch insisted. "You know they're tricking you, but it looks amazing. The point is to be entertained."
"Verilan charges a lot for his services," Joe said.
"The show will display the quality of his seemings. Don't forget that the real purpose tonight is to get disguises for Kendal, Mira, and Cole. We need to be alert."
"I'm excited for the show," Cole said. "I've never seen a magic act done by an actual illusionist."
"How could you put on a dazzle show without an illusionist?" Jace asked.
"We have magicians in our world even though nobody can shape," Cole said. "They pull off some cool tricks with just skill and special props."
Jace snorted. "This will crush anything people can do without shaping."
"Here we are," Joe said. "Stay close to me."
The coach slowed and then stopped. Joe opened the door and we exited.
The mirror surface of the building reflected everything in intense shades of electric light. As I moved toward the front doors, I saw my reflection blazing a light blue. Everyone in the crowd reflected as a different glaring hue.
Beyond the doors, we passed through a lobby where the floor simulated a pond teeming with decorative fish. Despite the authentic appearance, there was no sensation of wetness as we walked across it. This already looked way cooler than the magic shows I'd seen on TV back home. Ashley had always been into that stuff. I wondered what she would think of this.
In the performance hall, rows of benches flowed up and away from a semicircular stage. The hall was small enough to have no terrible seats, but Joe led us to a prime bench just right of center, about ten rows from the front. I sat between Jace and Mira.
Watching the stage expectantly, eager audience members chatted with neighbors. I longed to share in the atmosphere of anticipation instead of trying to wish myself invisible. Everyone who saw my face represented a potential risk.
Jace leaned over to me and whispered, "Hey, you okay?"
"I'm fine." I whispered back. "I just feel super . . . exposed. Ansel said he track me down. I believe him."
"He can try." Jace growled. "If he so much as touches you, i'll kill him."
I looked up at him, and suddenly realized how close we were. The scent of his cologne rolled over me, and I couldn't find words.
I bit my lip, and his eyes dropped to my mouth. "God, don't do that."
"Do what?" I said softly.
Before he could reply, a voice boomed across the theatre.
"Find your seats at your leisure," he performer called. "The starting time didn't apply to you. Nobody is bothered by your tardiness."
The audience laughed, and he flashed a winning smile. Extending one arm, a large hoop appeared in his hand. When he moved the hoop in front of himself, all portions of him visible through the circle appeared to be a curvy woman. He raised the hoop high off to one side, then swung it down, and a shapely brunette appeared beside him, waving to the crowd. She smiled, but there was no warmth behind it.
"Meet Madeline, my lovely assistant this evening," the man said. He cupped a hand behind his ear. "And I am . . ."
"Verilan the Incredible!" the audience shouted.
"The what?" Verilan asked, brows knitted in befuddlement.
"Incredible!" the audience roared, Twitch among the loudest.
Verilan and his assistant proceeded to work wonders. Juggled swords turned into clouds of butterflies. Water leaped from one container to another until bucket by bucket and barrel by barrel Verilan created an elaborate fountain.
On a huge canvas, Verilan painted birds that came to life and swooped around the performance hall. Madeline and Verilan danced together above a sea of flame. I was pretty sure Ashley would have been on the edge of her seat.
Too bad I didn't have a phone to take some videos for her.
At one point, Verilan called for volunteers. It took a hard scowl from Joe to make Twitch lower his hand. The chosen man was placed inside of a cabinet. Verilan proceeded to fold the cabinet into a tiny cube and swallow it.
Later in the show, Verilan carved a huge block of wood until it came to life as the missing audience member. The confused man returned to his seat.
I could see why Twitch loved dazzle shows. No show on Earth could compare.
After countless marvels, Verilan announced his most dangerous trick. The lighting dimmed.
Three empty cages were wheeled onto the stage and spaced with a good distance between each of them. Verilan escorted Madeline into one of the cages. After a blinding flash, a huge leopard replaced Madeline in her cage, and she now occupied a different one.
Another flash, and Madeline moved to the final cage, leaving behind another leopard. A third flash removed Madeline from the stage, leaving only Verilan and three caged leopards.
The applause broke up as one of the leopards began heaving against the side of the cage.
Verilan tried to keep smiling, but he looked distressed. White foam dripped from the leopard's jaws. Fluid muscles heaving, the leopard burst from the cage and rushed Verilan, biting his chest and shaking him violently.
Trailing horrible amounts of blood, Verilan tore away from the ferocious leopard. The other two leopards burst from their cages as well. Verilan collapsed, and the leopards pounced, viciously tearing into him until nothing remained but his ruined vest.
Madeline rushed onto the stage carrying the hoop from the beginning of the show. A leopard charged her, and she held up the hoop like a shield. When the leopard sprang through the hoop, it disappeared. Madeline used the same
technique to dispose of the other two leopards.
Setting the hoop aside, Madeline crouched over the bloody remnants of Verilan's vest. Scooping the tattered material together, she molded the rags into a small cube.
Then she unfolded the cube into the cabinet from earlier, opened it, and out came Verilan, shirtless but otherwise unscathed.
The crowd went wild. Illusion or not, it was the coolest trick I had ever seen.
Verilan reached into the hoop and pulled out a leopard-print vest. After putting it on, he passed the hoop over Madeline, and she disappeared.
Waving goodbye, he raised the hoop over his head like an oversized halo and dropped it.
As the hoop fell, Verilan vanished.
The cages exploded into flocks of origami birds.
As the paper swans, sparrows, owls, and eagles soared over-head, they burst into colorful flames and disappeared. A rotund announcer came onto the stage, thanked everyone for coming, and asked for the crowd to exit in an orderly fashion.
"That was awesome," Cole said. "Best I've ever seen,"
"That was pretty awesome." I said.
"That guy can do anything." Twicth gushed.
"He's good," Mira agreed. "There are limits to how many illusions one person can generate, and how elaborate they can be. Verilan has serious talent."
"I agree," Jace said.
"You liked it?" I asked, surprised.
Jace shrugged. "I pictured card tricks and dancing lights. Simpler stuff. It was way better than I expected."
"What now?" Mira asked, turning to Joe.
"We wait," Joe said. "Keep talking to one another. We want to look like we're casually lingering. Let everyone clear out."
Cole and Twitch discussed their favorite parts of the show. I had seldom seen Twitch so enthusiastic.
I had apparently taken Jaces hand sometime during the show, so I was studying his rings.
"Did you get these from the raiders?" I asked him.
"All but one." He said, pointing to a plain silver one with a thick band. "I got this one in a sky castle."
"How come you never wear it?"
He shrugged. "I used to wear it every day. When we left Skyport, I took it off so I didn't lose it."
He stared at it, an unreadable expression on his face.
"Sounds like there's more to it than that." I said quietly.
He swallowed. "I found it on my worst mission. Adam never knew I kept it. It's a reminder."
I wasn't sure I wanted to ask. "Of what?"
He looked over to me, his expression grim. "Things can always get worse."
It didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it, so I didn't question it. I just squeezed his hand reassuringly, and he gave me a look that said, thank you.
Before long the room had emptied except for us.
The rotund announcer approached them.
"Show's over, folks."
Joe stood up. "I have an appointment with Verilan."
"Do you now?" the announcer said, looking him up and down. "We use passwords for such things."
"Seeming is believing," Joe replied.
The announcer unclasped a bracelet from his wrist, and suddenly he was Verilan. "Now you're speaking my language," Verilan said with smile. "And who are these young people?"
"This is your biggest fan," Jace said, indicating Twitch.
Twitch wilted under the attention. "I really liked the show," he said softly, avoiding eye contact.
"I aim to please," Verilan said warmly. "We should go backstage." Twitch shot us an excited glance.
We followed Verilan to the front of the performance hall, onto the stage, and back into one of the wings. Catwalks crisscrossed above them. We passed bulky props, tall black curtains, and numerous ropes that stretched up toward the high ceiling.
Verilan led us to a plain door. Behind it we found an untidy dressing room lit by white globes. Madeline awaited us in her form-fitting stage outfit. We all entered, and Verilan closed the door.
"Are these your after hours clients?" Madeline asked.
"Yes," Verilan said. "I understand you want three permanent disguises?"
Joe glanced uncertainly at Madeline.
"Relax," Verilan said. "We're a team."
"For three of the kids," Joe explained, indicating to me, Cole, and Mira. "We need seemings that can withstand scrutiny from skilled enchanters."
Verilan gave a chuckle. "No seeming is flawless, friend. But mine rival the best."
"That's why we came to you," Joe said.
"My services don't come cheap," Verilan said.
"Two platinum each."
"Two each?" Joe exclaimed. "My contact said it would be a lot, but that's outrageous."
Verilan grinned. "Nobody made you come to me. If you care to hunt for a better value elsewhere, be my guest."
"I can pay." Joe sighed. "Go ahead."
"Why throw away so many ringers on a couple of kids?" Madeline asked.
"Our business is our own," Joe said.
"Not if you involve me," Verilan said. "If my cover gets blown, I become a wanted man. I need to know who I'm working with and why. Are the kids going to be used as spies? Are they fugitives? If they get into trouble, could it get traced back to us? What's the story?"
The blatant curiosity made me uncomfortable. I shared a look with Mira and Joe.
"Knowing the whole story will greatly increase your level of risk," Joe said. "I'm a member of the Unseen. Can't we leave it at that?"
"Afraid not," Madeline said. "We've heard the Enforcers are looking for five kids travelling with a grown-up. But we have no details."
"They're looking for us," Joe said. "The kids are wanted. Isn't that enough?"
"Not if we're doing business together," Verilan said. "We prefer the risks of knowledge to the risks of ignorance."
Joe turned to Mira.
She stepped forward. "I'm Miracle Pemberton, daughter of Stafford, High Shaper of the five kingdoms. I'm the same age I was when my father stole my shaping abilities, faked my death, and tried to lock me away. I've lived in hiding for years. We're on the run."
Madeline glanced at Verilan. "Could this be true?" She squinted at Mira. "You have the aura of a powerful shaper."
"I recently got my abilities back," Mira said.
"They're more useful in Sambria."
"What about your sisters?" Madeline asked.
"I don't know," Mira said. "We're been hiding separately for years. I'm here because Honor is in trouble. We think she may have been captured."
Madeline shook her head in astonishment. "Can you verify your identity?"
"Most of the people who knew me are now old or dead," Mira said. "I still have my royal seal. Each of the daughters had one. My mother smuggled them to us before we were sent into exile."
Mira produced an engraved golden disk fastened to a chain and embellished with tiny diamonds. It was the first I had heard of it.
Madeline accepted the seal, waved a hand over it, then peered at it closely. She handed it to Verilan, who took a long look as well.
Verilan sank to one knee, head bowed.
Madeline followed his lead. "Your Highness," he said gravely. "We had not dared to hope that you survived."
"It's the High Shaper's most closely guarded secret," Joe said. "You may have shortened your lives by learning it."
"You tried to warn us," Madeline said thoughtfully.
"Please, rise," Mira offered.
Verilan and Madeline stood.
"Who are you two?" Verilan asked me and Cole.
"They're wanted slaves who came here from
Outside," Joe said.
"They're with us now," Mira added.
"This is the wildest news we've had in years," Madeline said with breathless excitement. "I'm in the inner circle of the Unseen, but I never heard a whisper of it."
"We're very careful about sharing this knowledge," Joe said. "Their mother kept the secret to herself for a great while. Only recently has she reached out to a few among the Unseen.
Many of our most trusted members have no idea.
The information is only shared when the need is most dire. I'm serving as her protector."
"Think of what this could mean to the revolution," Verilan murmured.
"We're well aware," Joe said. "First priority is to secure the other princesses. Do you have any information about recent Ellowine prisoners surrounded by the highest levels of secrecy and security?"
Madeline put a hand to her mouth. "Blackmont
Castle."
Verilan nodded. "In Edgemont. They're keeping a nameless prisoner there under unusually strict guard."
"Edgemont is just outside of Merriston," Joe told Mira. "It's in line with the marker that initially guided us."
"Marker?" Madeline asked.
"Until recently, we had an indicator that pointed toward Honor's location," Joe said. "It no longer functions."
"Our best spies only know that the prisoner exists," Madeline said. "None have managed to confirm the identity. There has been much speculation about what prisoner would demand such extreme precautions. It must be her."
"It's our first good lead in some time," Joe said.
"Thank you."
I felt relieved that the lead was near Merriston.
That meant finding Dalton could stay my top priority without pulling everyone else off course from searching for Honor.
"It's the least we could do," Madeline said.
"Your secrets require more trust than I expected. I want to share mine."
"Are you sure?" Verilan asked.
"Positive," she replied. "My name is not Madeline. I'm Skye. I change my appearance every few months, as if Verilan keeps hiring new assistants. They're characters I play."
"I couldn't perform the show without her,"
Verilan confessed. "I'm the apprentice in this partnership. Almost all the seemings you witnessed tonight were hers."
"Wait," Joe said. "Skye. Are you Skye Ryland?" She gave a little bow. "At your service."
Joe chuckled incredulously. "You're a legend! One of the best illusionists in all of Elloweer. And one of the main leaders of the resistance."
She gave a little wave. "Unseen. Inner circle. I wasn't lying."
Jace gestured at Verilan. "What do you really look like?"
"This is me," Verilan said, spreading his hands and flashing a practiced smile.
Skye covered her mouth and whispered, "I helped him with the tan."
"The tan is enhanced," Verilan agreed. "And my real name is Alan. Not that it matters. I go by Verilan everywhere."
Skye approached Mira and took one of her hands. "We're in the same kind of trouble. I'm wanted. Not as badly as you, but I have plenty of enemies, including your father. This act is my camouflage. I'm a fugitive."
"We don't want to put you in greater danger,"
Mira apologized.
"You misunderstand," Skye said. "I want to share your danger. There won't be any fee for my services. I don't just want to help you with disguises. I want to help you find your sister."
"What about the show?" Verilan asked, looking a little shaken.
"You could team up with Mandy," Skye said.
"Have her pose as your latest assistant. She could handle most of my illusions. Or you could take a break. We've made plenty of money. Our arrangement was never meant to be permanent."
"You want to join us?" Joe asked Skye.
"I've never heard opportunity knock so loudly," Skye said. "It isn't every day I get the chance to strike a serious blow against the High King. Will you have me?"
Joe turned, deferring to Mira.
"Absolutely," Mira said. "We plan to leave Carthage soon."
I let out a breath. We had all seen Skye's seemings in action. It would be a huge advantage to have help from someone with her talents.
"Good," Skye said. "Most of the people looking for you have no idea who you really are, but word is out about your presence here. I should age you. People are watching for two girls and three boys."
"You should one of them older as well," Mira said.
"What's your story?" Skye asked us.
"Our slavemarks got changed to freemarks," I
"But the slaver who captured us saw us and is after us."
"Which slaver?"
"Ansel Pratt."
Skye grimaced. "He's a nasty one. But I can only adjust two of you tonight. A lasting seeming saps a lot of strength, and I'm already worn down after the show."
"How do you keep your energy up?" Mira asked.
"There were so many seemings tonight."
"Prep work helps," Skye said. "I enchant items to produce certain illusions, like the hoop, or the bracelet that turns Verilan into the announcer. Verilan assists with several of the seemings. Even after major preparations, the show still requires a great deal of effort and concentration. If I stretch beyond my limits, I could end up sick, dead, or insane, and anyone nearby could be injured as well. But I'm confident I can handle two of you tonight."
"Change the girls tonight," Cole said.
"Okay," Skye said. "We'll meet up tomorrow and I'll disguise Cole. How soon do you want to leave town?"
"I'd love to be on our way before nightfall tomorrow," Joe said. "Day after that at the latest."
"Then let's take care of Mira and Kendal and get you out of here," Skye said. "Do you mind leaving me alone with them? Work like this goes better without distractions. You can wait right outside."
The boys left, and we were left alone with Skye.
She had Mira sit on a stool in the middle of the
room. Skye paced around her, tilting her head or changing directions every so often. When she was done, Mira looked like a short, plump, middle-aged woman. A scarf bound the woman's brown hair. She had a plain face and wore simple clothes.
"There," Skye said, satisfied. "I need to rest for a minute, then I'll do yours."
"Can I keep my hair color and eyes the same?" I asked hesitantly.
"Sure," Skye said. "Any specific reason?"
Mira smirked. "She doesn't want to change because she likes Jace."
"Hey!" I complained. "That's a secret."
Skye gave us an amused smile. "He's the tall one with dark hair?" She continued when I nodded.
"I bet I can change you just enough so you won't be recognized, but so you still look like yourself.
Do you mind if I make you look a little younger?"
"That's fine." I said. Skye got to work, and when she was done, I walked over to the mirror.
She had made me a little shorter, my hair was longer and lighter, and it was curly. She gave me darker lashes and freckles, along with double ear piercings.
"Woah," Mira said. "It's crazy how you can make her look the same but also like a totally different person. You kind of look like Cole's sister."
"It's awesome," I said. "Thanks Skye."
When we emerged, the boys mouths dropped open.
"Is that you, Mira?" Cole asked.
"What do you think?" Mira asked, not sounding like Mira at all.
"Kendal, you look . . ." Twitch trailed off when Jace shot him a look.
"Younger!" Twitch said. "I was going to say younger."
"You look like my sister," Cole said with a smirk.
"Perfect," Joe said. "Nothing about you stands out."
"Skye is a genius," Mira said.
"I'm glad you're pleased," Skye said. "I'm wiped out. Joe, why don't we meet tomorrow at Trellis Square? You know the place?"
"I'll find it," Joe said.
"Look for me around the third hour of the day,"
Skye said.
"Verilan will show you to a stage door. Did you come by coach?"
"We did," Joe said.
"You should find it near the north curb," Skye said. "The officials won't let coaches linger out front without passengers present. Until tomorrow."
Verilan guided us across the stage to the opposite wing from Skye's dressing room and out a simple, unmarked door. Our coach waited not too far down the side street, near a couple of others. Streetlamps glared brightly enough to wash out most of the stars overhead.
The side street didn't have much pedestrian traffic, but I kept my head down, just in case.
In the coach, Joe asked Mira some trivia to ensure it was really her. I didn't blame him.
Mira looked and sounded like a complete stranger.
After the coach dropped them off a few blocks from the inn, and we stopped in the common
room.
"Let's all change, and we'll meet in the boys room." Mira said.
"You guys can meet up." Joe said. "I'm going to try and contact the Unseen. Stay in this building while I'm gone." He walked out the doors.
"So . . . meet in me and Twitch's room?" Cole asked.
We all nodded and headed to our rooms.