The Rogue Knight: 12 *

The Rogue Knight climbed back on his horse, and rode off with Mira. The knights rode away with the wagons, leaving the coach's behind.
Cole came jogging out of the woods.
I ran over to him, Skye following. "Are you all right?" I said.
"I'm fine," Cole said.
"How did you do that?" Skye asked.
Cole gave an uncomfortable laugh. "I don't know. I'm not even sure if I did it."
"You did it all right," Skye said. "I've never sensed any enchanting ability in you, then all of a sudden you were radiating serious power."
"It's gone now," Cole said with a sigh. "The sword is back to normal."
"So are you, as far as I can tell," she said, tousling his hair. "Has anything like that ever happened to you before?"
"Never," Cole said. "Declan told me that one day I would probably develop shaping power."
"I don't know what you developed," Skye said.
"But it wasn't any common type of shaping.
That sword shouldn't work here. What did you do?"
"I just wanted to help Mira," Cole said. "I don't get what happened."
"And now nothing?" Joe asked, drawing near.
"Nada," Cole confirmed. "After I went into the woods, I tried to follow Mira, but the sword went dead. Nothing I tried would make it work again."
Staring at the woods, Joe stroked his jaw. "I'm going after her," he said. "The knights didn't
take the extra horses. The dead mercenaries don't need theirs."
"I'm coming with you." I said.
"Me too." Jace added.
"No," Joe replied. "I appreciate the offer, but you'd slow me down." Jace looked like he wanted to protest, then dropped his gaze.
"But—"I started.
Joe cut me off. "I said no."
"I'll go," Twitch said, stretching his wings. "I was already planning to follow the Rogue Knight. You'll need me."
Joe paused, then gave a nod. "Sure, I could use your help."
"We could all go." Cole said. "There are enough extra horses."
"No," Joe said. He looked at Skye. "Seemings won't do us any good against them." He glanced at Cole. "Those knights can really fight. They're more than a match for me, let alone the rest of you. It's going to take stealth, and I'll sneak better with just Twitch along. This isn't over.
Skye, take Kendal, Jace, and Cole and see if you can confirm that Honor is the mysterious prisoner at Blackmont Castle. These two rescue a friend. The boy works at a confidence lounge in Merriston. Maybe the friend has information."
"Which confidence lounge?" Skye asked.
"The Silver something," I said.
Skye gave an impressed whistle. "The Silver Lining. The oldest confidence lounge in Merriston. It's the most prestigious in all of Elloweer. Would your friend help us?"
"Count on it," I said. "We have to free him."
Skye raised her eyebrows. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."
"Twitch and I need to get going. We don't want to follow too close, but we mustn't fall behind either. After I get Mira, we'll come find you.
Where should we meet up?"
"The Bloated Udder," Skye said. "It's an inn
near Edgemont, in Harper's Crossing."
Joe took Skye by the hand. "If I don't make it, you will be Honor's last hope." He looked to me, Cole, and Jace. "Find her. Help her."
"Save Mira," Cole said.
"We'll get her," Twitch said. "I'm faster than their horses." With that, Twitch hopped away, wings fluttering. Joe hurried over to Monroe. I couldn't hear the words.
Monroe scratched his head, then pointed toward some horses. Joe ran to a horse, climbed on, and rode away hard. Twitch had already vanished into the trees.
"Where's he going?" a voice asked from behind them.
I turned to find Konley there, watching Joe ride away. The knight wore no armor and carried no sword.
"The Rogue Knight took my daughter," Skye said.
"Your daughter?" Konley questioned. "Who are you?"
"Somebody who wanted to travel quietly," she said.
"I noticed that much," Konley replied. "You were hidden by elaborate seemings. Why would the Rogue Knight show no special interest in the daughter of Alderman Cronin, or anyone else for that matter, then take your daughter?"
"He knew that wasn't really the alderman's daughter," Skye said. "I have no idea why my poor child caught his eye. Why won't Rustin
Sage man up and face him?"
"That's his business," Konley said. "Who are you?"
"My name is Edna Vine," Skye said. "I own a fine pottery and tableware store in Carthage." Hands on his hips, Konley squinted at the trees, then back at Skye. "I think I know the store. It's called the Vineyard. Not really my kind of place. I don't know the owner. Could be you. So the Rogue Knight is going to ransom your daughter for plates?"
Skye's expression hardened. Tears shimmered in her eyes. "Is that supposed to be funny?"
Konley gave a chuckle. "Is that supposed to be acting?" He shifted his attention to Cole. "Who are you, kid? How come you can fly?"
"I don't know," Cole said. "Maybe because I wasn't afraid to try?"
Jace looked away, a spasm of unreleased laughter briefly making his shoulders twitch.
"It's more than you did." I shot at him. "Isn't it your job to protect us?"
Konley scowled at me. "Are you calling me a coward?"
"Were you hoping for 'hero?" I exclaimed. "You handed him your sword! I'm surprised you didn't shine up his armor!"
The boys couldn't hold it in and laughed hard.
"The girl has a point," Skye said. "Both of these children attacked the Rogue Knight. Where were you?"
"That's not the issue," Konley said
uncomfortably. "I carried out my duty as I saw fit."
"Every coward has his reasons," I muttered.
"What was that?" Konley asked.
"Something a real soldier once told me," I replied.
Konley placed his hands on his hips. "Some important people are looking for a group that matches your description. There was particular interest in the girl. An escaped slave."
"I don't know what you're talking about," Skye said. "None of us are slaves. The Rogue Knight wiped away our seemings. Do you see slavemarks on us? Did you note the freemark on my daughter? I'm living a nightmare, and you're accusing us of . . . what?"
Monroe came over, a hand on the hilt of his sword. Apparently, the knights had let him retain it. "Is there a problem here?"
"These people were under disguise," Konley said.
"Lots of people prefer to travel incognito," Monroe said.
"One of the merchants used seemings as well.
One of your party too. These people paid for passage under my protection."
Konley sneered. "Fine protection you provided."
"My men died to protect us," Monroe said. "The one who lived only surrendered after a failed attack. Look to your own people. This remains my caravan. Don't harass my clients."
"I was asking after the girl the Rogue Knight took," Konley said. "I can't help without information.
"If you want to help the girl," Monroe said, "you and your men are welcome to ride to her rescue."
"We're not currently equipped to threaten those out laws," Konley hedged. "I'll need reinforcements before I hunt the Rogue Knight." Konley glanced at Skye. "I never caught your daughters name."
"Eleanor," Skye said smoothly.
Konley gave a nod. "Right. Carry on, then." He patted Monroe on the arm. "Let's get these coaches back on the road."
Konley walked off. Skye stepped close to Monroe. "I've had some involvement in the resistance. I think he's aware."
Monroe gave a nod. "Aye. He'll make trouble if we let him. What do you mean to do about your daughter?"
"I sent two servants to try to help her," she said.
"It's all I can do for now. We need to get to Merriston."
"Do you require anything from your coach?"
Monroe asked.
"Not anymore," she said.
"Then take mine," Monroe said. "I'll tell the driver to push hard, and you'll reach Merriston late tonight. After that you're on your own."
"Thank you," Skye said.
"Least I can do," Monroe replied, looking around.
"Worst disaster of my career. Here's to hoping the officials in Merriston make it right."
Monroe led us to his coach at the front of the caravan.
Me and Jace climbed in while Cole went with Skye and Monroe went to talk to the driver.
"Thank you for trying to save us." I said sincerely.
Jace folded his arms across his chest. "Don't."
"What?" I replied. "You saved my life."
"I was no better than that Konley guy," Jace said.
"He didn't even try," I said.
"No point in trying if you can't get it done," Jace said, looking at the floor.
"Hey," I said, tilting his head up to look at me.
"This isn't over."
"It kind of is for me," Jace replied. "You heard Joe. I would just slow him down. I would have worsened his chances to help her. And he was right. That's why I didn't argue."
"He said that to me too, Jace. He took Twitch because he's stealthier with those wings."
"No, he took Twitch because you had almost just been taken, and he knows I'm too impulsive."
"Jace," I said softly. His lack of faith in himself made me sad. "Joe did what was best for Mira. Don't take it personally. We all know you do your best to protect her. No one blames you."
"Yeah, right," Jace huffed. "I bet her guards will be in terror of some kid who doesn't even know how to use a sword. I'm useless without that rope."
I sighed. "You are not useless, Jace, why can't you see that? That was really brave." I said. "Mira needed somebody, and you stepped up."
"She needed somebody to save her," Jace said.
"Not somebody to get pinned down. Do you know what the Rogue Knight said to the other knight who held me? He said, 'There is no honor in harming a child.' And he was right. I wasn't even a threat. I was a kid having a tantrum. If I had my rope, I would have shaken that knight like a bug in a can. They wouldn't have held me down and shown me mercy. They would have been too busy dying to care how old I am."
"Mira appreciated what you did," I said softly. "I know I did. That was the bravest thing anyone has done for me."
"She shouldn't have. You shouldn't. You deserve better. Someone better than me." He paused, taking a shaky breath. "Good intentions aren't enough, Kendal. Remember the sky castles? How many of those scouts do you think intended to die? Here's a clue—none of them. How many survived? Only a few. Your intentions don't matter. All that matters is what you can do."
"We'll find a way to help her," I said. "But this is not your fault, Jace. Please don't believe that it is."
"I'll try my best," Jace said. "Even if my best is a pathetic joke, I won't quit."
"Jace—" I started
"Just stop. Don't try to cheer me up. I know what happened. I know what it means." He started to get choked up. "I lost Mira. And I almost lost you too. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to you." Gritting his teeth, his expression miserable, Jace regained control of himself, looking anywhere but me.
I wasn't about to let him push me away. Not after everything that happened.
Not saying a word, I wrapped my arms around him and held on tight. He went ridged for a moment, the wrapped his arms around me and buried his head into my shoulder.
"She's my only family, Kendal." He said, his voice cracking. "If I lose her, I don't . . ." He cut off, his arms tightening around me ever so slightly.
He pulled away, taking a shaky breath. My heart ached when I saw he had tears running down his face.
"Hey," I said softly, reaching up and wiping the tears off his face. "We'll get her back, okay? She needs you right now. I need you right now."
He took a deep breath, then nodded once.
And that was it.